What's new
What's new

Help!! Agiecut 100 D

emt2688

Cast Iron
Problem: Main switch on DA unit keeps shutting off, then back on again. :confused:

First, I should tell you I just got the machine, and am new to this game.

I have replaced the 2 12 volt batteries, but the problem persists. After running the machine for say, 1 hour, the whole machine shuts down, then immeadiatly turns back on.

Power to the machine is 388 volts, and seems consistant. There doesn't seem to be a power surge problem that I am aware of???

What could be causing this, and what should I do to diagnose the problem?

emt,

I had a 100D a few years back , but do not recall anything like this so am by no means an expert on repair of these machines. I do have several questions:

Does the machine shut down when it is running, idling or both? Is there any pattern to when it will shut down? (a board overheating maybe).

Are you cutting with bath when it shuts down?

A few things to check:

1) a power line monitor might be beneficial to eliminate a spike as being the cause.

2) Make sure your DA water level is up to recommended fill level.

3) Check cooling fans in the control cabinet and also in the generator cabinet to make sure all are operating.

When the machine fires up again, does it do it by itself or do you have to get involved? Does the DA shut down and not the CNC or does everything go down all at once?

I have had this problem in my 170MMD and found the cause to be the main breaker switch flaking out on me. New switch and the problem never came back. When this happened though it did not come back on by itself. I had to go and switch the breaker fully off, then on and the machine would come back.

What error codes are you getting when the machine comes back on? What error messages are you seeing?

TMD

The main switch can not mechanically turn on and off. It has a latching mecanism that uses 24 volts to latch it. This is a series circuit that uses the over height float on the uv head and the round red mushroom buttons to complete the circuit. Once the switch is tripped you must mechanically reset it.

Can you better explain what you mean when you say the main switch is turning on and off ?

Could be an easy solution if you provide better description.

Larry McNamee
AGIE Wirecut EDM support

Larry,

From the beginning:

I bought this machine on E-Bay a couple months ago from a Seco – Carbaloy plant in Tennessee.

I have the power to the machine, via a step-up transformer 240 to 380. The voltage is at 388 volts and doesn’t vary more than +/- 2 volts at any given time, at least that I can see.

When I first tried to power-up the machine, the 2 batteries were weak. So I was able to charge them up, the main switch would hold, and the machine (all units) would power up.

After a while (1-2 hours) the machine (all units) would shut off, and immediately power back up. I did nothing; it would do it on its own??? This could happen several times in a 10 minute time span. So, I thought the weak batteries were to blame. But that still doesn’t explain why the main switch would re-energize.

Well, I replaced the batteries with new ones. The problem still persists, though not as frequent. The only message I get is power failure (not sure what code, as I am writing this at home. Might be 461?) The batteries are checking out fine, about 12.5 – 13 volts each. When the machine is running, voltage at the two battery terminals is about 26 volts.

Another problem is the machine will not keep its reference parameters. Whenever I power down the system (whether I do it, or this “automatic restart” does it) I lose the machine coordinates, and have to go thru the Z, UV, and XY alignment process again.
Larry, I talked to you about this on Thursday, but we have been playing phone tag since then. I’ll try to call again.

I have changed the battery (3.6 volt lithium), but it didn’t help. You also suggested switching two of the boards on the upper and lower rack, but that didn’t help.

The machine has made test cuts, and I am happy with the results. Just need to fix a few kinks in the machine.

I have an idea that the machine turning off and on and loosing memory could be related.

On the right side of the upper and lower racks in the control are the power supply boards LPS. The boards are identical (look at name on board to be sure). Swap these 2 boards and let me know.

Sounds like the machine is restting and that is why it is going off and on and loosing memory.

Please fel free to call me !

Larry
<a href="http://www.edmcorner.com" target="_blank">EDM AGIE EDM
assistance Site</a>
[email protected]

Back