What's new
What's new

Help of choosing the best sinker EDM

davids4

Plastic
Hi all
We looking to purchase a new Sinker EDM machine.
We had never have the experience with new cnc EDM machine's
Until now we use TOP EDM conventional machine.
I need your help experiences people to help me choose the best machine.
We need to choose from 4 brands :
1. Makino - they consider the EDAF 3
2. Agie - FORM P350
3. Ona Edm
4. Mitsubishi
Our main business is injection molding for
Cars parts , agriculture, water systems.
Thanks for the help.

Never ran an Agie. I love the Mits machines. Makino were simple to learn and easy to run. I never liked the ONAs controller.

If it were up to me I'd get the Mits

Thanks
We need a machine with very accurate results.
With grate surface finish
And top end technology.
I think that some Mitsubishi models are made in China ..
The makino EDAF still made in Singapore
And as I heard they have a great quality results ..
We have an ONA AF35- wire cut
And we are not satisfied
So I think that the sinker edm of ONA is not so good also.
Agie have some models that made in swiss and some in China
I think that the swiss models are very expensive
I bet that they are good machines
But as I heard they are better in producing wire cut machines

The Agie form you speak of is actually two different machines. It used to be Agie and charmilles were different brands altogether but were bought by +GF+. The form 350 is most likely closely aligned with how charmilles machines are programmed where Agie machines program completely differently.

But personally either brand are great, my money is on Agie for ease and versatility of programming. But charmilles for that little bit extra accuracy and consistency but I a bit more complicated in programming.

Over the years I’ve run 2 different models of each brand and they all have their own advantages

Thanks for your advice
But I really want to hear more about the makino if anyone here works with one

I worked on an EDAF2 and EDAF3, which had a beefier power supply and some other smoke and mirrors that make it better for some reason.

It’s very intuitive; touch screen your way through describing your work piece and electrode, then fiddle with it till it sounds like bacon. Put a Stevens plate on it and you’ll never have to pick up a fixture again, we loved ours. That said, we had a few really nice looking finishes end up failing metallurgical, which was weird. Maintenance was fairly easy, but by golly Makino can be your best friend and your worst enemy.

BUT... for the money a CHMER can do anything a Makino can do, it just involves a lot more swearing and a little less drooling. And it’s cheaper, supposedly.

Mitsu and Makino hands down are the top two, but Mitsu gave us one awesome discount to gain our business. Both come with free training that endless which is a huge cost savings. I love the controls on both machines of course one has a bigger touch screen and all that non-sense. To be honest I believe if I call Makino they would give me even more of a discount to be right with Mitsu.

sorry but I really didn't understand you...
You use a lot of slang that I don't understand
Can you summarize what you said in English :)

sorry but I really didn't understand you...
You use a lot of slang that I don't understand
Can you summarize what you said in English :)

Makino= [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] but costs $$$
Mitsu= [emoji106][emoji106] [emoji106] and only costs $$
CHMER = [emoji2961][emoji33] but only costs $ [emoji857]

Edit: so I re-read your original post. I haven’t worked in the die making industry, so I don’t know, but if you don’t need to perform aerospace grade burns on a sinker, I’m not sure you need a Makino as expensive as the EDAF. Sure, it’s super intuitive and works amazing, but... if all you’re after is the shape, a cheaper machine will do it just fine. I’ve walked three different shops this week, and all three had a sinker sitting there collecting dust. A Makino would be a huge waste of capitol unless you’re employing it 24/7 with a full time toolmaker in graphite, which we had and even still didn’t always keep it busy.

I would love to include sodick in to my list
But in Israel we don't have a sodick agency...

I would consider the proximity of applications and training support from your distributor as a factor. Any of the choices except ONA (don't know much about them) will do what you need. Not sure how close pricing will be.

Back