What's new
What's new

Help Please!! EDM restart position lost

htownchuck

Plastic
So I recently was appointed interim edm operator since the guy who usually programs and runs it quit. I have very little experience with it other than keeping the machine running when the wire breaks or reloading a part.
This particular job I have a sheet of Stellite that we are cutting a bunch of small pieces out of and this morning (being my first day flying solo without the other guy), when I started the program I think I hit 4 conditions and Cycle start instead of 4 conditions and Restart, causing it to lose its place. So the position where it needs to re-thread the wire and continue cutting the next piece is directly over the plate, instead of the previously cut out hole where it can actually thread the wire.
I looked in the Fanuc Manual and found where it shows to do hold point return and also start point return, but both are directly over the plate.
I also tried to manually position the head to the program location and start at the M00 right before the re-thread but it alarms out. I'm assuming because it isnt in the correct hold point position?

Any ideas to help an EDM dumb dumb??

Much appreciated!

Not sure how your machine works, but on my Brother machine wherever you hit start cycle that becomes you X & Y zero. If I jog away from the part, I have to hit return to start position to run the program or it will start wherever it is currently.. If yours is the same, you need to set your zeros again.

Probably different, but thought I would try to help.

Never used your machine type, but can you rewind to the program start, zero out on which ever feature you using to zero, then dry run to the M00 you need to start at today. I know this may take alot of time, but I might save the rest of your parts.

we just started using Fanuc machine pretty much the same as our Charmilles
Hold point return will take you back where you left off or stopped in the middle of a cut lets say
start point return will always go back to the last G92 G92 is usually where you start from.
when you start any job good practice to set a point so you can always know where things are
hope that helps

Most CNCs can save points independent of the part program, P1,P2, ect.
Then you can move to these points independent of the part program.
Reference your manual to learn how for your machine type.
As stated, always save your start point(maybe two different names) before pushing the green lite button.
I can assure you this wont be the last time you hit reset, restart and you are at the wrong position.

Regard,
John

Back