What's new
What's new

Hole burner Electrode plugged

crk12239

Plastic
Just wondering how people clean the flushing hole in small electrodes after cutting the electrode to get rid of the wear area? I tried using a wire brush but no luck. Thanks

Don't cut the copper tube, that closes the hole. Roll the electrode on a flat piece of steel with a knife blade pressing on the top of the electrode, scoring the o.d. of the tube; then bend the tube. It will break cleanly at the score ... once you get a little practice.

What is the diameter of the tube your cutting? For really small tubes I use a finger nail clipper with an angled head, works great on tubes like .012-.020 dia. For larger diameters up to about .040 I use a Xuron shear flush cutter, don't use side cutters. The Xuron cutters cut square and don't squish the tube. For anything larger I use a cordless dremel with a cuttoff wheel and start the electrode spinning and cut with the dremel then I stone the edge and bottom to deburr. These are the best and fastest way I have found because you don't have to remove the electrode.

If your machine allows it, just reverse the polarity and dress it off on a carbide block. If the electrodes are big, (~Ø4-6mm)stacking them up in a v-block and cutting them on a wire EDM machine works well.

I usually get away with starting to cut with a blocked tube and after a couple seconds the wear rate is so high the blocked area usually wears away.

Back