What's new
What's new

How to connect Sodick Seikanet machine to network share?

kukhuvud

Plastic
Hi there! First time poster. I work in IT at a company that has a ton of Sodick machines that write data to a network share and everything works ok.

I've set up a new network share on newer, faster storage and want to get the Sodicks to write there. What's the trick to configure the Sodicks to use the new share? It appears that there's some voodoo with them looking for a NCPROHD folder and/or a 3D_DATA folder, but I can't locate any documentation or instructions on what precisely to do. And, of course, the person who set these machines up is long gone.

I did find the part in the Seikanet gui where I can enter the ip address, user name, and password. And when I populate these fields and then go back to the file browser sort of screen and click "refresh network" the new ip address shows up. But when I click the new ip address I get an access denied error. I am able to map a drive to the new share in the embedded Windows, so communications and ACL's are functioning properly.

Can anyone here help? Thank you :)

Seika Net Setup

Good Morning.
I noticed you have a setup sheet for the Sodick Seika Net. We have the machine and pc connected but I cannot access files on the sodick as there looks like a permission problem.
Sodick helpline are not coming up with the answer.

Cheers

amazing I found this thread. Seems the setup is not all that simple. I too and having a permission issue trying to connect to the machine. I can ping it, see it on the network, I am just always denied access when trying to connect to it. The book is poorly documented. I attempted to put in users and passwords, but still no success.

Would you be willing to email me that pdf as well?
Thanks a bunch!

Let me try to help.

First, newer microsoft shares are very very difficult to access and debug, and may be impossible to integrate with machine tools, easily.

Around 18 months ago 6/2017 the MS machine decided to go onto default encrypted long-length passwords on shares, that are not compatible with any old networking protocols or clients.

Work-arounds exist and it is possible to knife the MS machines registry to default and/or accept old style sharenames and passwords and credentials.
The easy way is to setup an old PC to test with, using win xx, or win 7, no service packs.

Then look at netbeiu/netstat/registry/error log results on trying to connect.
If the machine tries to connect and fails, the results should be in the error log.

Likewise, folder ownership and access rights often fail, and deny nw access.
Overriding these to a new owner with full access can clean this up.

If You are happy to allow remote access, I can probably connect via team viewer/similar and verify/setup network shares.
And show how to look at logs, and what might be wrong, and some ways to ease the process.
It would likely take about 1 hr.

Let me try to help.

First, newer microsoft shares are very very difficult to access and debug, and may be impossible to integrate with machine tools, easily.

Around 18 months ago 6/2017 the MS machine decided to go onto default encrypted long-length passwords on shares, that are not compatible with any old networking protocols or clients.

Work-arounds exist and it is possible to knife the MS machines registry to default and/or accept old style sharenames and passwords and credentials.
The easy way is to setup an old PC to test with, using win xx, or win 7, no service packs.

Then look at netbeiu/netstat/registry/error log results on trying to connect.
If the machine tries to connect and fails, the results should be in the error log.

Likewise, folder ownership and access rights often fail, and deny nw access.
Overriding these to a new owner with full access can clean this up.

If You are happy to allow remote access, I can probably connect via team viewer/similar and verify/setup network shares.
And show how to look at logs, and what might be wrong, and some ways to ease the process.
It would likely take about 1 hr.

I am not trying to access a computer from the machine, I am trying to access the machine from a computer.
The default password set in the manual did work. Trying to change it to something else also didnt work. Always get user or password incorrect.

Its windows 10, there should be no problem connecting to a windows NT share located on a FAT32 drive. Very frustrating.

I came across this which seems to suggest the same as what your were talking about. I havent tried it, but the people that linked to it suggested this worked for them.
Here is the link for the workaround :https://social.technet.microsoft.co...t-4-server-workaround?forum=w7itpronetworking

I will post back if this was a success.
Perhaps with this, and the pdf helping to explain some of the screens, I can finally be done using that pesky floppy drive......WAIT WHAT? Did he just say floppy drive? Whats that? hahahahaha

I sent you the PDF. It is from an older machine but our newest ALN machine was the same set up.

I sent you the PDF. It is from an older machine but our newest ALN machine was the same set up.

Thanks, I got it.
It was pretty much just like the manual, with a tad bit more information.
I was able to get it working with the help of that MS link to strip the share security a bit. I am able to see the machine and its files now.

Thanks for instruction though.

As a side question - I am unable to get the web interface to work. I can see a machine scree, but nothing is updated with actual screen values. Everything is zeroed out.
Any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty sure that is a setting in windows on your PC. The Active X settings need to be enabled.

I'm pretty sure that is a setting in windows on your PC. The Active X settings need to be enabled.

No, I can see the machines screen, its just not updated with any valid data. For example, the area where it shows the machines positions are all zero, even when the machine is up and running.

Is it a setting on machine possibly?

Seems it was a machine software package. One machine has the web interface settings, the other does not. Problem solved.

Seems it was a machine software package. One machine has the web interface settings, the other does not. Problem solved.

Problem NOT solved :willy_nilly:
Isnt it supposed to allow me to drop files onto the machine from the computer into the "ncprohd" folder?
I can read, but not write.

Tried a few settings on the machine and nothing seemed to work.
I can access the user shares, but I cant access files from them while at the machine.
I was really hoping to just be able to drop my nc files onto the machine.

Is this how you all who have this working have yours set up?

Yes...we can access nc files from the computer through the ncprohd folder and all our machines can shares files from other machines. Without seeing your set up not sure what could be the problem?

Yes...we can access nc files from the computer through the ncprohd folder and all our machines can shares files from other machines. Without seeing your set up not sure what could be the problem?

You can access it through the ncprohd folder as in, you are able to save into that folder from the computer? Because I can see the files, I just dont have access to add more or change any.

Back