What's new
What's new

How to mask a surface from EDM sinking

4-40TapDance

Plastic
Hello peeps!

Has anyone had any luck masking one surface off from a burn?

I have to blend a turned surface with a burned feature, and so far I keep arcing onto it on the first roughing plunge before the orbit. I keep making my 'trode thinner and thinner to try to stay far enough away, but no luck. Alternative geometry is not an option .. . . I'm stuck sliding past the finished surface to get into the burn. So now I'm looking at masking the surface. But my Dielectric fluid eats most tape adhesive for breakfast. Considering that the fluid itself is an insulator, I'm not sure even a layer of plastic would stop the arc.

So . . . Has anyone successfully masked their part from an EDM burn?

Thank you for your time
--Mitch

But my Dielectric fluid eats most tape adhesive for breakfast. Considering that the fluid itself is an insulator, I'm not sure even a layer of plastic would stop the arc.

The dielectric fluid becomes conductive once the fluid ionizes enough. Plastics won't do that.

Can you put the turned section in some heat shrink tubing and cut it off when you are done?

I think I would try what Marcus said.

Hi 4-40 TapDance:
I've heard that nail polish works as an effective insulator but I've never actually tried it.
Give it a whirl and tell us if it's true or just bullshit.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Along those same lines, a thick layer of dykem may help. I have always noticed that if you lay on the dykem to thick, the edm will have trouble getting started into the burn. Might just be enough to act as a mask.

I have been told by the old schoolers that dykem works. I would also try Sprayon red insulating varnish. Cerakote is another option since it is only 0.001" thick.

Hello peeps!

Has anyone had any luck masking one surface off from a burn?

I have to blend a turned surface with a burned feature, and so far I keep arcing onto it on the first roughing plunge before the orbit. I keep making my 'trode thinner and thinner to try to stay far enough away, but no luck. Alternative geometry is not an option .. . . I'm stuck sliding past the finished surface to get into the burn. So now I'm looking at masking the surface. But my Dielectric fluid eats most tape adhesive for breakfast. Considering that the fluid itself is an insulator, I'm not sure even a layer of plastic would stop the arc.

So . . . Has anyone successfully masked their part from an EDM burn?

Thank you for your time
--Mitch
Any results you can report? I have a job where we have to plunge past a finished surface also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back