Japax pwr supply, Homemade wire feed
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Japax pwr supply, Homemade wire feed

I'm still trying to get into wire EDM in my garage shop. My problem is floor space availability.

What I need is a real small wire EDM not only because of floor space, but the kind of work I do. A work envelope of 5" x 10" would be just fine. I make special tools, prototypes and stamping dies. A wire EDM would make blanks to be used in the form dies that I make.

My question: Could I buy a used wire EDM power supply and make my own CNC table and wire feed? I see some Japax power supplies on Ebay within easy driving range.

Next question: Do wire EDM power supplies run on 3 phase power.

Next question: A Hansvedt DS2 wire EDM would be perfect for the work I do and fit my floor space. If someone knows of one for sale email me at [email protected]

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Small wire EDM's

Hi Jim:
    You should also look at the Brother HS300 wire.
    There's one on EBay right now...overpriced in my opinion, but about the same footprint as the Hansvedt and quite a bit more common.
    Here's a link:

Brother HS-300 Wire EDM - eBay (item 230479315176 end time Jun-01-10 03:16:57 PDT)

Regarding cobbling one together yourself, sure iit's possible, but it's going to be a LONG SLOW process and you'll likely end up with something you can hobby around with but nothing you can use to run commercially.
    If you do decide to homebrew, make sure you are buying a power supply that came off a wire...a sinker power supply won't work.
    The current settings on a sinker are all wrong for wire.
    Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Whoops: I just noticed something.

Sorry Jim, I didn't read your first post properly.
    I just saw you're planning to cut dies...you can't really use a DS2 for that nor will the HS300 do it for you.
    Neither machine can cut tapers, so you can't cut die relief on these machines without doing some really awkward tilting of your blocks.
    That would be an extreme pain in the rear and not worth it in my opinion unless you don't care how long it takes and how many setups you need to make for each die opening.
    Cheers

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marcus;

The Brother HS-300 Looks like it may work for me. How much do those sell for, usually? I'll look around for one of those as well as the Hansvedt DS2.

When I talk about making dies I mean form dies for tiny spings and electrical contacts for prototype work. Not pierce or blank dies. I can find people with wire EDM machines with taper cababilities should the need arise. I also need to wire EDM blanks for the form dies.

Thanks agian for the into on the Brother HS-300.

Jim

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How much should one cost?

Hi Jim:
    I've seen the Brother go for as little as $6000.00 and the DS2 about the same.
    This, of course says nothing about the condition of these machines...it's been often expressed on this forum, that you buy used at your peril.
    In your favour though, is that both machines are still well supported; the DS2 by Arrow EDM and the Brother by EDM Network (maybe other companies too).
    I've had personal experience with both companies and have found both to be very good to deal with; they're conscientious, reasonably priced, expert at what they do, and very pleasant, helpful people.
    So your choice; presuming the 2 axis limitation is acceptable to you, is probably one you can make comfortably either way and not go too far wrong.
    I do know that the DS2 is exquisitely sensitive to operator error...the upper wire guide arm is fragile and utterly intolerant to crashes, also the programing on all Hansvedt machines is weird and takes a bit of learning.
    I know nothing about the Brother, but they do have a reputation of making solid machines.
    There are a couple of Brother users among this crowd; maybe one of you can chime in with your own experiences.
    Cheers

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim
    Dan at camtronics sells plans for sinker and wire
    edm
    LINK Camtronics, inc. --
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

have you looked into LinuxCNC???

check out linuxcnc.org they offer EMC2 Enhanced Machine Controller software

i worked with the coders a few years back to incorporate an edm function into the code.

it works quite well, had success updating an Andrew EF330 Wire EDM i sucessfully replaced the DEC pdp8\a nc system with the Enhanced Machine Controller running on a PC platform.

imho this would be a better start than an old antiquated cnc system, hower you would still need a sparking generator.....

and best of all the EMC2 software is free......

btw those Japax "NP" unit on ebay aren't worth the trouble........
    you would be better off with one of the Japax VH02, FE02 or FE03 or 4G controller.

happy hunting,

michael