What's new
What's new

Leblond Makino Wire EDM

Diemaker6823,

Your best bet is to contact Makino at 1-888-625-4664, as Makino still provides full parts, training, and support for this machine! In fact, Makino never stops supporting our equipment regardless of age, as we support every machine we have ever made. What issues and type of repairs need to be made to the machine?

- Brian

Diemaker6823,

Your best bet is to contact Makino at 1-888-625-4664, as Makino still provides full parts, training, and support for this machine! In fact, Makino never stops supporting our equipment regardless of age, as we support every machine we have ever made. What issues and type of repairs need to be made to the machine?

- Brian

Wow,

Is that really true ?

There is some spectacular Makino equipment on the second hand market.

From other experiences with different MTBs I assumed that one has to mainly buy "New" equipment to get full support for a machine ?

I.e. Machine builder X will say if you have a legacy / not new machine contact your local dealer X for support ... But local dealer wants to sell you new machines or one can go "Bog off" (more or less.).

The reason why I pounce on this (not to derail this thread) is obviously many shops , manufacturers and various R&D outfits may have been somewhat overfinanced / optimistic and are now / soon having to let go of their more newly purchased machines (in some cases, or let go of very nice but slightly less productive iron. ).

2021 will see a glut of very good hardware and iron on the second hand market (not that businesses will be going under but more about pre-emptive reduction of liabilities. ).

In our case ("My little ship") we have been wanting to stay very much inside the Makino ecosystem but frankly looking more to mix and match new and second hand equipment.

In other words the kind of second hand equipment that's turning up on the second hand market these days is impossible to ignore ~ especially from a business point of view.

Specific question to @Brian Pfluger do you think it's better to buy a NEW Wire EDM and a second hand mill (Makino) versus buy a second hand (few years old U3 or U6 ) versus a newer Makino vertical ?

Even some of the really quite old Leblond Makino mills look really sweet / fun to have for more slower toolroom work / retrofit mill , as some of those older (more hands on) beefy Japanese mills look really excellent / very good iron ? [Lower Rpm spindles of course.].

There seems to be a number F5's , V33(i)s and PS 95s etc. floating around, (second hand) higher hours.

Even factoring in a formal maintenance contract possible spindle replacement etc. you're still ahead ?

How much damage can someone do to 10 year old box ways and turcite on an older V33i ? [i.e. you don't have to become barn shop scraping warrior to "Fix" a 15 year old V33 if you just want a machine that can cut pretty straight ? ].

We are mainly looking at new PS 105 and U3/ U 3i (+ additional axes) (for this round).

Wondering with the new economic climate whether local dealers are more likely to be more helpful with second hand legacy equipment ?

I.e. Not so many new machine sales like in 2016 but maybe local vendors might have an eye to making some $ supporting legacy machines (i.e. keep things ticking over and retain staff rather than being forced to lay people off in a possible slow down ? ).

How much does Makino let you do your own work on older machines / repairs and upgrades and various sub systems replacements ?

Does Makino allow you to deal directly without having to go through local dealers for spares and maintenance and a smidge of trouble shooting ?

Thanks in Advance,

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

* To my eye it looks easier to clean up and fix an older mill than an older Wire EDM , as the newer Wire EDM may be more capable tolerance and control wise versus a second hand mill that can be brought very much into spec in a whole host of different ways (shrugging shoulders ).

Apologies for temporary thread de-railment - but interested in what options @Diemaker6823 might have at his disposal through the Makino "Mother ship " ? .

Back