What's new
What's new

lets put some life into this forum

dave

Aluminum
montana, sulton of spark, sparky, patric from ace plastics where are you? can we breath life into this forum and get some gook edm issues posted and discused in a adult maner?

Oh, BTW, I currently own and operate a 1997 Fanuc OC Wire EDM.

I have programmed,operated, and maintained Charmilles, Agie, Makino, Sodick, Japax Wire EDM machines as well.

I am a certified Journeyman Tool and Die Maker and now own a small Tool and Die shop in which most of the work these days is that of a wire edm jobshop, making components for plastic injection molds,rubber molds, stamping dies, cutting tools for CNC turning operations and screw machines, prototype parts, and production parts.

I prefer to design and build metal stamping dies as that is what I am most experienced at.

Now, let's hear from some more of you guys!

Tom

hi guys

i am a cnc tool maker did my apprenticship for a larg company and got my papers in march of this year. work in the wire edm room we have four wire machines mits 90, mits sxt, agie 100d and a agie challange. make parts for plastic injection molds, stamping dies and assembly machines. mostly a2 d2 s7 and lots of carbide. draw parts in auto cad and program in esprit.

I've got an interest in wire EDM and I hope this forum will pick up.(I couldn't stand the one that just shut down,I was married to a drama queen and didn't want to hear any more.)
The use I have in mind is cutting magazine wells in AR type recievers.Would the home built size machine that was posted earlier be powerful enough to cut a hole that deep(2 & 5/8")?The machine should have more than enough travel otherwise.
Thanks,Robert.

I'm also interested been running AGIE wires for 15+ years, and equal number programming with Mecanic. About 20 years Charmilles ram experiance. All work for the electronics industry. I would really like to see this part of the form take off.

Sounds good! We've been wire-edming since 1972 and still use the same machines(agie dem 15's). Hey they're old, but still hold few tenths when needed. Also have an Charmilles E10 and a Agie 45L Ram for small precision forms and holes. Jim

I have a Mits, FX10 Wire EDM and a Hanvedt 150B sinker that I use for custom tooling, molds, dies or what ever comes along. I burn lots of 17-4 stainless for dedicated inspection tools.

I run my one man shop and do all my own maintainance and repair on the machines. It would nice to have someone to compare problems and successes with.

[This message has been edited by Steve Schliebe (edited 09-25-2003).]

Hey Jacobs, can you tell me anything about that E10? Burn pretty good? How well does it handle complex forms, and how big? How fast does it burn with copper in no-wear roughing, and can it utilize max amperage while in no-wear roughing? Thanks.

General G

montana

where have you been? do you still have your agie 315? i use to go by the handle "apprentice", but since i graduated i had to go by a new name

General, Good Machine depending on who's owned it. My work is small die & form inserts from .100 sg. 1."deep to 4."sg.to 3." deep. Roughing on sizes like these can be anywhere from (20min on a small detail) to 3hrs.(for the large)But,it really depends on your mat'l,flush,electrode mat'l and operator. Amperage is consistant. When I need 20 to 25 amps, it'll give me 20 to 25 amps. But, it will drop on occasions depending on the job and how long it has burned.(it's an old machine and power supplies don't stay hot forever) Copper is the best for these machines using low pressure and low renewal of dielectric fluid for minimal wear.(like doing small thin gauge gear forms where tolerances are tenths) I usually wire cut 3 to 4 electrodes rough,semi finish and 2 finishes using the fine finish circuit.(I'm replying on the fly) So,if you need more info, I can email you stuff on the machine. Thanks,Jim

Hey Harry, I'm not sure if your the same guy. But, do you still use Bobwire to program your W-EDMS? If so,what version? Thanks, Jim
(If not,sorry and thanks for responding).

Hi Everyone,

Am anxious to see the forum getting lit up again. I see some familiar names and hope all the good guys in the white hats come back.

I am a small shop owner, do 98% EDM work. 2 Agie 170's, 1 Agie Evolution II (fine wire), Sodick Moldmaker III with TX21, Sodick K1C (hole burner) , some older CNC mill and Lathes, misc. sheet metal. Two Agie's run 24/7 on production, Evolution is used for tooling and other one off jobs.

I have seen no increase in quotes for several years, if it were not for the prod. work, I would be out of business. Hope it picks up, am getting tired of having to work 7 days a week to make a living.

TMD

I are the owner and I have not fired myself yet....
frown.gif
, think I should ?

TMD

Geez....It's been a long time since I've been in here.
Jim, Yes I still use BobCad and it's version 16.1 (although they did talk me into upgrading to Version 18)
I haven't found Ver. 18 to be any better except that it is able to import many different files from customers that I then convert (or send) back to Version 16.1 to work with them.
It still doesn't do too good importing things like dimensions, but geometry comes through fine in .dxf format.
Hope all is well with all you guys out there.

Harry(a.k.a. Tom)

Back