What's new
What's new

Looking for recommendation, RAM EDM, Barrel Porting

coyotebgone

Aluminum
I am wanting a machine to port barrels. All this work is very small with maximum ram distance of less than .25 inches in either chrome molly or Stainless Steel. I was thinking of a bench top ram edm. Does anyone have a recommendation of which one I should look for, considering ease of use, replacement/repair parts availability.

Thanks for the advice.

Herschell

Hi coyotebgone:
Didn't we already go through this a year or so ago?
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/search.php?searchid=21732723
I seem to recall exactly the same question from you.
Was there something unsatisfactory about the answers you got from us back then?

Anyway, the short version:
If you can live with an old hydraulic ram machine and don't need super good accuracy and can live with a primitive but quite capable control, I recommend a Hansvedt sinker.
They are still well supported by Arrow EDM Services, and will fit your needs.
Any of the machines they offered are workable, but the most common still around is the SM 150 B, and it is small,,,about 30" x 30" x 30" tall.
They are much harder to use than a modern machine with a modern control but they are a hundredth of the cost too.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

yes we did

I tried to find this link by looking at my old post.

Thanks for sending it to me. Also thanks for taking the time to help again.

I can appreciate how irritating us amateurs are, I have taken so much of the great information that you "true machinist" offer and it has really helped me and made my projects look a lot better.

Thank you

Herschell

I seem to recall exactly the same question from you.
Was there something unsatisfactory about the answers you got from us back then?

Anyway, the short version:
If you can live with an old hydraulic ram machine and don't need super good accuracy and can live with a primitive but quite capable control, I recommend a Hansvedt sinker.
They are still well supported by Arrow EDM Services, and will fit your needs.
Any of the machines they offered are workable, but the most common still around is the SM 150 B, and it is small,,,about 30" x 30" x 30" tall.
They are much harder to use than a modern machine with a modern control but they are a hundredth of the cost too.

Cheers

Marcus
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining[/QUOTE]

Hi Herschel:
I didn't intent to come across as irritated; I was just puzzled because I recognized the question and your internet name and thought the subject had been already been reasonably covered and a decision long since made by you.

So my apologies if I came across as gnarly and cantankerous...it was not my intention.
So is there something you are still unsure of?
Can I help?

Cheers

Marcus
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back