Looking for a wire EDM shop in nothern Illinois...
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for a wire EDM shop in nothern Illinois...

I'm looking for a wire EDM shop in northern Illinois, preferably Fox Valley area, that accepts walk-in work. I don't do enough wire work to want to invest in or maintain a machine... basically a few small diameter (< .047" dia.) ejector pin holes that have an L/D ratio that I'd rather not drill, much safer to pop & wire, a couple times a year, and very occasionally some profile work. I've used the same shop for the last twenty five years, but he is retiring and closing his shop. I can go into the western Chicago suburbes If I have to, but would much prefer someplace closer. Most my work is new builds, so not many panic rush jobs.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the place for you. Good shop. I've dealt with them. Close too, Marengo, Il.

Wire EDM Tool Shop

Tom

3. Likes Modelman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, they are rather close. I seem to recall Bill wanted to send me out there some years ago when his machine was down, but he was up and running again before I really needed the work done, so it never happened. I'll have to give them a call next time I need something. One good thing, it looks like they have principals in the business that are younger than I am.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    Yeah, they are rather close. I seem to recall Bill wanted to send me out there some years ago when his machine was down, but he was up and running again before I really needed the work done, so it never happened. I'll have to give them a call next time I need something. One good thing, it looks like they have principals in the business that are younger than I am.

Dennis
    I would call ahead of time, introduce yourself and give them some time to look you over. Last minute "you gotta help me" isn't the best.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. I don't have anything right now, but will keep the need for long lead time in mind.

Dennis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I live in South Elgin. Shoot me a msg or email if you are interested. We are a nice shop about a half hour away. I do a lot of small jobs like this and with 4 wires and 2 hole poppers I can almost always squeeze something in in a pinch.

Matt.

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind when I have something. One half hour which way from So. Elgin?
    Dennis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    I'm looking for a wire EDM shop in northern Illinois, preferably Fox Valley area, that accepts walk-in work. I don't do enough wire work to want to invest in or maintain a machine... basically a few small diameter (< .047" dia.) ejector pin holes that have an L/D ratio that I'd rather not drill, much safer to pop & wire, a couple times a year, and very occasionally some profile work. I've used the same shop for the last twenty five years, but he is retiring and closing his shop. I can go into the western Chicago suburbes If I have to, but would much prefer someplace closer. Most my work is new builds, so not many panic rush jobs.

Dennis
    If you have been using a shop for 25 years, it sounds like you DO need a machine!

Seriously though, if they are closing, is he selling the machine? Maybe you could work out a deal and he/they could give you some training on said machine.

It's kind of like not having a bridgeport or drill press "because you can do it in the cnc machine". Although true enough, once you have access to a different machine it opens up possibility. Used to flip those parts to do the c'bore on back side? Not anymore when you can do 'em in the drill press. Need to cut a slot in a fixture/vise jaw that isn't fussy? Load in the bport and have at it, no programming, no touching off tools, etc.

WIre emd's are great! I'm (pretty) sure you would find other uses for it if it was in your shop... Grinding blocks (dimensional) into dowel pins (does anyone do this anymore?), NOPE! not with a wire, just drill a start hole, HT and grind, then into the wedm for the perfect press/slip fit as required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For someone who does a few ejector pins a year should definitely not buy a wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEx30 View Post
    For someone who does a few ejector pins a year should definitely not buy a wire.
    Thanks, Steve, my thoughts exactly. Over the years I've learned that there are some things that are just not worth taking the time to learn to do well. One of the advantages of being on the fringe of a highly industrialized area is there are a lot of specialty shops. I don't heat treat in-house. With pick-up and delivery, overnite service, and a $25 minimum, why should I? I don't micro weld, I don't gun drill, and I don't jig grind. These are all specialized skill sets that I would never use enough to become truly proficient, so I leave it to the guys who do that work each day, every day. That and the cost of the equipment that would sit idle for months at a time.

Anyway, what Mike proposes is exactly what happened... one of my wire guy's bigger customers bought the whole shop, and hired him to set it up in their plant and provide training for a while until he actually retires. I wish him well, it sounds like a sweet deal. My problem is it's not a job shop, so I have to look elsewhere.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree completely. Not to mention wires just don't like to sit unused. Especially older ones.

Good luck !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mahuta Tool Corp a little north of Milwaukee, wi best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 400ex2008 View Post
    Mahuta Tool Corp a little north of Milwaukee, wi best of luck.
    A little far, but I;ll keep them in mind. Thanks.
    Dennis