Looking for a wire EDM shop in nothern Illinois...
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1617
    Likes (Received)
    1741

    Default Looking for a wire EDM shop in nothern Illinois...

    I'm looking for a wire EDM shop in northern Illinois, preferably Fox Valley area, that accepts walk-in work. I don't do enough wire work to want to invest in or maintain a machine... basically a few small diameter (< .047" dia.) ejector pin holes that have an L/D ratio that I'd rather not drill, much safer to pop & wire, a couple times a year, and very occasionally some profile work. I've used the same shop for the last twenty five years, but he is retiring and closing his shop. I can go into the western Chicago suburbes If I have to, but would much prefer someplace closer. Most my work is new builds, so not many panic rush jobs.

    Dennis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Geneva Illinois USA
    Posts
    5,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2461
    Likes (Received)
    2313

    Default

    Here's the place for you. Good shop. I've dealt with them. Close too, Marengo, Il.

    Wire EDM Tool Shop

    Tom

  3. Likes Modelman liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1617
    Likes (Received)
    1741

    Default

    Yeah, they are rather close. I seem to recall Bill wanted to send me out there some years ago when his machine was down, but he was up and running again before I really needed the work done, so it never happened. I'll have to give them a call next time I need something. One good thing, it looks like they have principals in the business that are younger than I am.

    Dennis

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Geneva Illinois USA
    Posts
    5,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2461
    Likes (Received)
    2313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    Yeah, they are rather close. I seem to recall Bill wanted to send me out there some years ago when his machine was down, but he was up and running again before I really needed the work done, so it never happened. I'll have to give them a call next time I need something. One good thing, it looks like they have principals in the business that are younger than I am.

    Dennis
    I would call ahead of time, introduce yourself and give them some time to look you over. Last minute "you gotta help me" isn't the best.

    Tom

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1617
    Likes (Received)
    1741

    Default

    Thanks. I don't have anything right now, but will keep the need for long lead time in mind.

    Dennis

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I live in South Elgin. Shoot me a msg or email if you are interested. We are a nice shop about a half hour away. I do a lot of small jobs like this and with 4 wires and 2 hole poppers I can almost always squeeze something in in a pinch.

    Matt.

    [email protected]

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1617
    Likes (Received)
    1741

    Default

    Thanks. I'll keep you in mind when I have something. One half hour which way from So. Elgin?
    Dennis

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1462
    Likes (Received)
    1581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modelman View Post
    I'm looking for a wire EDM shop in northern Illinois, preferably Fox Valley area, that accepts walk-in work. I don't do enough wire work to want to invest in or maintain a machine... basically a few small diameter (< .047" dia.) ejector pin holes that have an L/D ratio that I'd rather not drill, much safer to pop & wire, a couple times a year, and very occasionally some profile work. I've used the same shop for the last twenty five years, but he is retiring and closing his shop. I can go into the western Chicago suburbes If I have to, but would much prefer someplace closer. Most my work is new builds, so not many panic rush jobs.

    Dennis
    If you have been using a shop for 25 years, it sounds like you DO need a machine!

    Seriously though, if they are closing, is he selling the machine? Maybe you could work out a deal and he/they could give you some training on said machine.

    It's kind of like not having a bridgeport or drill press "because you can do it in the cnc machine". Although true enough, once you have access to a different machine it opens up possibility. Used to flip those parts to do the c'bore on back side? Not anymore when you can do 'em in the drill press. Need to cut a slot in a fixture/vise jaw that isn't fussy? Load in the bport and have at it, no programming, no touching off tools, etc.

    WIre emd's are great! I'm (pretty) sure you would find other uses for it if it was in your shop... Grinding blocks (dimensional) into dowel pins (does anyone do this anymore?), NOPE! not with a wire, just drill a start hole, HT and grind, then into the wedm for the perfect press/slip fit as required.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    175

    Default

    For someone who does a few ejector pins a year should definitely not buy a wire.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1617
    Likes (Received)
    1741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveEx30 View Post
    For someone who does a few ejector pins a year should definitely not buy a wire.
    Thanks, Steve, my thoughts exactly. Over the years I've learned that there are some things that are just not worth taking the time to learn to do well. One of the advantages of being on the fringe of a highly industrialized area is there are a lot of specialty shops. I don't heat treat in-house. With pick-up and delivery, overnite service, and a $25 minimum, why should I? I don't micro weld, I don't gun drill, and I don't jig grind. These are all specialized skill sets that I would never use enough to become truly proficient, so I leave it to the guys who do that work each day, every day. That and the cost of the equipment that would sit idle for months at a time.

    Anyway, what Mike proposes is exactly what happened... one of my wire guy's bigger customers bought the whole shop, and hired him to set it up in their plant and provide training for a while until he actually retires. I wish him well, it sounds like a sweet deal. My problem is it's not a job shop, so I have to look elsewhere.

    Dennis

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    175

    Default

    I agree completely. Not to mention wires just don't like to sit unused. Especially older ones.

    Good luck !

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Mahuta Tool Corp a little north of Milwaukee, wi best of luck.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1617
    Likes (Received)
    1741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 400ex2008 View Post
    Mahuta Tool Corp a little north of Milwaukee, wi best of luck.
    A little far, but I;ll keep them in mind. Thanks.
    Dennis


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •