What's new
What's new

Machines: Charmilles E400 or Hansvedt 150B

pogo

Plastic
I have no edm experience, but I am looking for a sinker EDM and am getting serious about a machine.

Found two I am interested in: An E-400 and a 150B (similar to the one on Ebay).

Both would be cost the same, about $5000. It would be used for small parts, and I am looking for surface finish quality over speed. The lack of CNC is not a problem.

Which would you go with? I've heard about RF interferance with older models - is this a real problem?

Thanks,

Mike C.

My experience with Charmilles is parts and
repairs are OUTRAGEOUS. I've used a Hansvedt
in trade school. The Hans was very simple to
use. I would contact the manufacturers to
find out about the availability of parts first. I would talk to someone that has used
these machines before you buy one. What are
doing with these machines? How are you going
to make your electrodes? What size is the
power supply? Some older machines don't
sensitive enough controls to create the proper finish that you desire without A LOT
of hand polishing and finishing. Hand finish
ing is a whole other subject. I hope I have
helped. Good luck.

Hello, again, msrm. I've heard good things about Hansvedt, but your comment about repairs recalls black thoughts about a car I used to own....

Unfortunately, there are no EDM shops in the whole state so I am really flying blind. I would work for free a week or two just to peek inside the shop, otherwise.

I intend to use the machine for a variety of cuts - the largest and most demanding would be cutting AR-15 magwells - about 4 in2 with several odd-shaped insets. A sinker machine seems more versatile at this point, though a wire feed would be better in this case.

Slow, but that correlation between time and money is not as critical at this point.

Power supply: 30 amps on the 150B, and "lots of power" on the E-400.

I have a 11" Rockwell lathe and a Bridgeport mill to help in making electrodes.

I want to avoid handwork as much as possible to stay in my price niche and minimize product variability.

Mike C:
We have an older Charmilles D4 sinker with the plain ram platen. The machine has the Isopulse P2 control with the Microfinish module. Yes the parts are expensive for Charmilles machines, but the D4 is an incredible machine all around. The P2 controls are pretty much "bullet-proof" and rarely need anything (even if neglected). They are about as simple to set up and run as any machine built. The controls only have a few settings - the machine does the rest by itself. The finish using the Microfinish module is nearly polish-free if the electrode is good (smooth). Finishing burns the electrode faster than roughing in sinker EDM work so plan for twice as many finishing electrodes as roughers. One thing missing on the D4 is a "dither" similar to the Easco has. Would be nice but can be got around just fine. For some reason, the floor machines are cheaper than the bench machines and are much better in my opinion anyway. You can pick one up under $5,000 if you are patient. E-bay is probably your best bet rather than any dealer. Good luck. PS - Midwestern Machinery in Minneapolis has a nice used ELOX in your price range. Ask for Pete.

Back