What's new
What's new

magnet for small parts

NewToEDM

Plastic
I always have problems fixing the small pieces to cut them to the wire .
What small magnets would be recommended ?

Cheapest magnet option is to get some neodymium magnets from eBay/amazon and make some knurled bodies for them,

There is multitudes of size and proportions to choose, personally I’d select wide diameter with a low height to help for under nozzle

i was thinking about some small magnetic chuck usefull for work some small part (die) that would be hard to fix in a vice and to fix them perpendicular to table

Hi NewToEDM:
The big problem with mag chucks for work holding on a wire EDM is their tendency to rust if you ignore them for even a short time.
The best way (but also the most expensive) is to buy a stainless steel chuck designed just for wire EDM.
Here is a supplier:
Magnetic Chucks - Superior magnetic workholding by Hermann Schmidt

Be warned though, these are EXPENSIVE but they are also among the finest tools you can buy.
If you prefer to work with good tools, they are a worthwhile investment.

The other alternative, of course, is to use a standard chuck and keep it wiped down with WD40 between uses.
Be aware though, that any chemical residue you allow into the work tank will harm your DI resin and if there's enough, it will damage the whole dielectric system.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Thank you for your answer,if things go well i hope i will get a good magnet this year.
About chemical residue,i use anticorrosive spray on parts before i wirecut them.How bad could this harm my DI resin?

Good morning NewToEDM:
You asked "About chemical residue,i use anticorrosive spray on parts before i wirecut them.How bad could this harm my DI resin?"

The problem with contaminants of any kind is that you don't know beforehand what effect they will have on the dielectric resin.
As you may or may not know, the resin works by trapping ionic species in the water, both positive and negative ones that are the products of the wire cutting action.
If the charged particles embedded in the resin beads are poisoned, the resin stops working and needs to be replaced.
This happens naturally over time so the resin is a consumable.

If you dump in a contaminant, and it binds preferentially to the resin, it will not be able to pick up the ions generated by the cutting process...the water conductivity shoots up so it's dielectric strength is decreased, the spark intensity falters, and the cut stalls.

If you put in enough of the wrong kind of contaminant, it coats the insides of the chiller and the hoses and you cannot get the conductivity down properly even with a whole new resin charge.
It costs a lot to fix a problem like this.
I know because I had to rebuild my system after I foolishly cut iron stator cores that had been laminated with epoxy.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back