What's new
What's new

Makino EC3025 Cables

Paul Deady

Aluminum
I have a Makino EC3025 Wire M/C. The general condition of the machine is dirty and messy, not a lot of maintence done.
The cables to the lower head, Upper head and clamping frame all are Multi cored flat ribbon cables. All are hard, Brittle and some cores are broken.
These cables are not easy to get in Australia. The joints or terminations also do not look so good.
Can I replace the Flat ribbon cables with a standard copper insulated cable?
Why would Makino have used flat ribbon when normal stuff (Cheaper) is available

The flat ribbon cables were used to reduce inductance (round cables have built in capacitance - or is it the other way around?). I have seen machines run on regular round cables but it was never recommended to do so. You didn't mention the generator model. MGN10w/15w have a better shot at running on the other style cable than a MGN30W or MGWE machine. If you don't max out the generator they will probably work OK but the generator settings were created and maximized for the flat cable and your finishes and cutting characteristics will not match the book settings. Electronics and feedback circuit will be much happier if you retain the original designed cable.
Unfortunately the cables used do get hard after a while no matter what you do...

Greg

Ah, I see from your previous post that it has an MGN10W...
The connector on the end of the flat cable is just a clamp that is sealed around the connection, you could make one with no problem. I would however recommend sticking with the flat style cables even if you had to make one out of several narrower flat cables. It is a PIA to strip all the cable ends though :)

Greg,
Thank you for your reply. My cables are Hard / Brittle and Broken. I think only about 50% of them are there. I am guessing that this will not help my cutting.
I also have a leaking work tank. I do not wish to remove the granite base so I guess I can only fill around the edges with a silicone sealer. The leak is not huge but a consistant dripping. Is there a better type of sealant to use?
Thank you in advance Paul Deady

EC2030 Leak Repair

Paul,

In closing up your tank leaks, the recommended sealer would be to use a clear silicon sealer caulk. This is easy to find, is cheap and effective, easy to work with, and is easily removable. Also, be sure to properly clean and dry all suspect surfaces and leak areas before applying the new sealer.

Actually if I recall correctly you do not have to remove the granite but the tank does have to come off (or at least mostly off). We never really had any leaks on the EC series (and it was 20+ years ago) so I am not sure. Brian is right on the sealant and thoroughly cleaning the area.

I don't think I have any cables in my limited parts stock but I'll check...

Regards
Greg

Back