What's new
What's new

Makino U6 Heat price sanity check

Mr.Mechanical

Plastic
We’re looking to buy a Makino U6 Heat wire EDM. We got a quote just under $200k (13% off) delivered - when researching recent used sales I am seeing used prices for this machine at $115 to $136k and a dealer in England is offering new ones for 109 British pounds or about $145k in today’s dollars. Can anyone share their pricing experience of this machine? Many thx.

@Mr.Mechanical - thanks for the prod / PM,

I'll dig through some of the stuff I have.

A number of things that need to be mapped out also.

We’re looking to buy a Makino U6 Heat wire EDM. We got a quote just under $200k (13% off) delivered - when researching recent used sales I am seeing used prices for this machine at $115 to $136k and a dealer in England is offering new ones for 109 British pounds or about $145k in today’s dollars. Can anyone share their pricing experience of this machine? Many thx.

I've had price combinations for,

U3,

U3 with B axis,

U6i,

$200K for (13% off ) for a U6 with the H.E.A.T option seems pretty good.

There are many factors but also worth checking the machine options with a fine toothed comb too to check for parity.

+ different territorial / dealer factors

+ whatever else maybe on the table for a larger purchase of a different constellation of machines with the same MTB and vendor.

BUT ,

check historical exchange rates between US and the UK , and UK vs. Japan, and US vs. Japan throughout the past year.

Your vendor in the UK is most likely buying in GBP (Sterling) not US dollars.

A vendor / MTB / US based sales network is ordering machines paying in $ to a Japanese firm.

The Japanese machines are priced in Japanese Yen.

So price differences may happen also between machines ordered from the UK vs machines ordered from the USA due to historical and current exchange rates. + different times that various quotes might have been generated.

exchr Pound vs Dollar 1.jpg

^^^ Click to see bigger - UK GBP (sterling) versus US $ for past year.

exchr Pound sterling vs Japanese Yen.jpg

^^^ Click to see bigger - UK GBP (sterling) versus Japanese Yen.

exchr US dollar vs Japanese Yen.jpg

^^^ Click to see bigger - US $ versus Japanese Yen exchange rates.

Pay close attention to the actual numeric values of each respective exchange rate. taking into account how each graph has been scaled differently on the Y axis.

Seems the strength of the GBP (sterling) vs. Japanese Yen is a significant factor versus a more constant exchange rate for US dollar vs Japanese Yen.

Seems the Japanese Yen is gaining in a little strength these past couple of months relative to the $ and the GBP - after a seemingly protracted period of "weakness".

___________________________________________________________________________________

First determine how those curves intersect and how old and new quotes etc. might affect that as a beginning base line of comparison.

I don't think necessarily you will get leverage over your local dealer network with different prices in different regions [for a multiplicity of reasons.]. .

For sh*ts and Grins / Brexiteers - check out Euro vs Dollar exchange rates and Euro Versus Japanese Yen exchange rates while keeping one eye on GBP vs Japanese Yen.

But overall the Japanese yen seems to be getting slightly stronger but could falter a smidge the next quarter but the overall trend could still be in the direction of a stronger Japanese Yen.

~ I'm not saying "Buy now" 'cuz Japanese machines will be more expensive in the next few months and coming year. The US vs Japanese Yen exchange rates seem more constant to each other. GBP seems to be going through a period of greater strength, good for buying Japanese products but bad for UK exports to Japan and the USA.

I went back through my not too old (by any means ) quotes,

and noticed they are marked confidential.

But I am thankful to look over those as it seems I may have missed something.

i.e. a regular U6 being priced very nicely (non HEAT) though ~ which is fine by me.

I think the "thing" that has me a bit ambivalent about Wire EDM as a process is how much slower taller parts take to cut.

@Mike1974 kinda clued me into taller parts being disproportionately slower to burn.

the most critical geometry would be 6" tall in various related cousins of tool steels,

Also slightly spooked that burning copious amounts of aluminum does terrible things for filtration systems.

A lot of not so great things about second hand machines if you are going after tighter / cleaner / narrower tolerance bands.

Wire EDM is still an amazingly useful process.

Purchase a heat or heat extreme ....what ever they're calling the newer version......

Running a U6,...... I recommend you purchase the options and get a HEAT.....can't keep tank clean with 2 filters....

.I don't even know if 4 filters help at all.

Wow Cameraman - you’re an economist too! Many thanks for your perspective.

We are leaning Makino with additional significant discount offered if we place order today - they have had a 5% price increase - but key for us is availability and to not take a chance on future higher prices and delays.

We’re working out details to sell our current Agie Cut 30P to wrap up the deal. Delivery would be this month.

Mr. Mechanical,

The Makino Wire EDM products do vary in their standard content and configuration in the different global markets.

In North America, Makino brings in the U-Series Wire EDM's (U3/U6) fully equipped with many features that are offered as options in other markets.

Some of the items include:
- Transformer
- Chiller Unit
- Power Line Filter (Power Voltage Stabilization)
- Pro-Tech Anti-Rust/Anti-Oxidation System
- Glass Scale Positioning Feedback
- Hardened Work Table
- Athena Voice Control Technology
- (x2) Virgin Resin De-Ionization Bottles
- Wire Alignment / Taper Calibration Jig

The above Makino U-Series Wire EDM Standard Machine Content for North America does represent some very unique features and benefits, and this has been done to meet the expectations and needs of our market. These additional and significant content items do impact the final price, so I hope this helps explain some of the differences you might be seeing when comparing pricing from other global markets.

- Brian

Mr. Mechanical,

Congrats on your new purchase decision! I am sure Makino and the U6 HEAT machine will exceed your expectations and I wish you the best of luck with it! :)

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in the future.

- Brian

over the last 30 years we have purchased 9 Makino wires and I must say they are the best. ec3025,ec32 u32 u53 sp64 sp43x2 duo43 and a u6heat. very few issues over the years.

Back