What's new
What's new

Mits DWC110SZ - hooking up - looking for where some wires connect

Wade C

Stainless
Got a 93 DWC110SZ that showed up here this week, and finally got it set in place, and starting the process of sort of understanding everything. Manuals showed up today about 3pm, so that has answered some questions - but Im having a hard time finding the homes for some of the plugs taht come from the machine to the control/power supply.

I have an email off to the previous owner, but he didnt take it down for shipping, he hired it done, so not sure what info he'll have or what it will cost me to get the info from the company that took er down. So being an impatient SOB, it being Friday night, and I likely wont hear much if anything til next week - I thought I would post up here and see if anyone is familiar with this rendition or even has one, that they might be able to point me in some directions for where these go.

THere are a couple connectors that I have yet to find a recepticle that looks anything like it, and then the rest, are similar to connectors all over the cabinet... so could go multiple places, and Im not finding any labels (YET) that coincide with whats on the wires.

I can get some pictures if it would help.

The round connectors for what appear to be X, Y, Z, and U/V axii stick out like a sore thumb, both sides labeled and easy. (those are in one bundle that are in one of the three rubber "conduits" that are about 3-4" dia) Then, there is one of the rubber conduits, that just came in the wire bin, so dont know what all will go through that, and then the third is the the one with the bulk of the connections/connectors that are alluding me or confusing me.

I realize Im asking pretty basic questions here, but also, pretty entailed to get me an answer, so I completely understand if my impatience waiting to hear back is not a good enough reason to dig into it on your end. Its not the end of the world, Im just excited and want to get things on their way to situated.

Of course any other pointers, tips, tid-bits, etc are always welcome. First experience ever with a Wire, first time Ive seen one in person, so I got a lot to learn for sure!

Of course, after that, watch out... as Ill likely be asking a lot of questions. Hopefully I can weed out the dumb ones and the "RTFM" ones before I post up. :D

Thanks
Wade

Well, since you don't know anything about the machine, both specifically or in general, and the fact that the basic books do not have wiring diagrams or pin-outs, I'm going to recommend that you hire a tech to do the rest. It sucks to have to rely on someone else and pay what it costs, but in all honesty it is very much the right thing to do and will save you money and headaches later. If you are going to go with Mitsubishi and their techs you will need to pay the lunch money ransom ahead of time. If you are going to go with independent techs I can recommend two.

*Disclaimer -I am friendly with both and this has happened as a result of dealing with both for a while but I receive no consideration from recommending either one and do so simply because I think well of both of them. And when I have one out for service I still pay his rate without discount.

If you want their names and contact info, post or write me. Good luck.

Im open to suggestions... Thanks to the seller playing games with the pick up time frame, I spent what I had that was going to go to commissioning it, to the trucking company to get it picked up in time. So Im having to be as price conscientious as I can be.

Im sure Ill end up paying Mits their ransom... but no way can I afford to pay the ransom, plus fly a tech out, put em up, and pay crazy hourly money... so gonna have to rely on my stick-to-it-ive ness and a little luck finding someone that might be a bit more affordable to at least give me some advice.

Would love to have the contact info of the two guys you think are good. Ill shoot you a PM with my email.

Wade

In addition, the guy is supposed to come out and train me to use it, but thats provided I have it up and running... paid for his training time, so thats money out, and if I dont get it up by the time he comes out (combining with a trip to visit his daughter) then guess where I sit... Yeah.....

Post pics of your remaining cable ID's and I'll help as much as I can, I'm away from Monday evening till next wednesday though.

Okay, got a bunch of pics, but as not to waste bandwidth and space here, I have them on my server, and here is a link to the picture index.

This is the link to the image index: Index of /temp/wire

Some are obvious (the round amphenol connectors labeled for the axii) pic name axisconn-go_to_middlebundle.jpg and machinesideofcontrol-lower.jpg

Then there are the 5 axii cables from the servo/stepper amps/drives (image fromcontroldoor.jpg) - which seems like they could go a couple places, but my guess, since they are disonnected for transport, that they would go to the machine panel (image machpanel.jpg) because the labeling matches, but guessing the wires would be tight... but, the only other place I can see they "could" go, would make no sense for them to be unpluged (image controlcardsclost.jpg) so guessing that is NOT where they go.

On the controlcardsclost.jpg image, the card MW771 (right hand of the three similar ones) the top two smaller connectors, there is marker on the cover to the right of the 771 card, with an arrow pointing at the lower of the two small connectors, that says "hand pendant" (easier to see on image controlcards2.jpg), pretty obvious thats where that goes, but looking at the image pendant.jpg - there is the interference filter do-hickey, and Im not finding an obvious place in the control where that would screw to the cab - at least not that Im seeing. So that has me curious.

But the ones that have me the most stumped, 1.) are from the machine rear panel image machpanel.jpg, the lower bundle in the tube, which are then shown in image cables_lowerbundle_machtocontrol.jpg and one from under the rear panel with a amphenol connector - image underrearmachpanel.jpg

and then 2.) the ones that are in front of the rear machine panel, that appear to be mainly power connections
image machsidepower.jpg (they come out of the hole directly behind the wire ends Im holding) and I think they would ends up or some anyway, in machinesideofcontrol-upper.jpg - but would have expected some sort of gromet or the like.

Im sure to the educated or at least more electrically inclined... its obvious... but Im just a bit nervous and tentative since I dont have a wiring diagram or pictures to confirm by.

I appreciate any help... and will continue to keep digging for labels on cards and wires and try and find homes that make sense and have labels that match for the wire ends. :D

Im sure Ill find somethings between now and any replies that will likely make me feel stupid for asking, and confirm it in your minds... I tend to ask too soon on things Im unfamiliar with.

Thanks
Wade

OK, here goes, 1: Cables lwr bundle, go on the unit of pcb's at the bottom of the front control cabinet, it has SIFA on the left side, MRAA on the right side, and a card on the front plane but i can't remember what that is. The brown connector with the flying earth lead goes to the AFCA card, and the brown round plug that is hanging under rear mach panel is to connect to the waste wire bin. 2: the cables you are holding are machining cables and yes they do go to the units at the back of the control cabinet, and do go through the holes usually with grommets but hey ho if you haven't got any then so be it, the other small green connector goes to the oscillator board, which I think you will find by removing a panel on the rear of the control? And yes the hand control does go onto the 2nd connector on the MW771, the bared back sleeving clamps to the earthing bar under the control cards, and from memory the noise filter screws to the frame at the back of the CRT tunnel. I hope that helps.

Great info! Thanks! Ill take that info and run with it as far as I can and post back up!

Thanks a ton! Will have to see where it gets me! :D

Wade

Okay, made great progress with those tips!!! Identified cards by your names/plug labels in the parts book, then slide out the chassis where I could see, and got them all hooked up. I only the last bit that Im stumbling on, because labels are not matching up....

On this image: http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/temp/wire/machinesideofcontrol-upper.jpg
My understanding it, its basically the power wires from the PS to the machine, plus a big ground (maybe 8awg) and a smaller set of wires with a green plug.

Got the smaller wires with the green plug, but got to the ground wire (green wire - no label at all - guessing ground cause its green, and seems a bit long to attach on the junction blocks, but too short to reach the front of the cabinet) and the power wires (wire labels E1C & W1C on one set and E2C & W2C and there is two of each on each batch of wires). But the junction blocks do not have any labels other than VCC, WO, W, E as shown in the image link above. So if I were a guessing man, I would say that the left block would get the W1C and E1C and the right block would get the W2C and E2C - just following the first letter as the label... but I dont like guessing when screwing up can get quite expensive :D
image of wires http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/temp/wire/machsidepower.jpg of all those, only know where the green plug small wires go.

I thought maybe the ground would go to the transformer, but its too short, and there are no big ground lugs in the panel area in the pic, unless it goes to one of the junction blocks? As there are other ground wires there... but that then further compounds my confusion about the E and W wires.. wouldnt think they would go to ground... but... what the heck do I know :D

Hoping maybe I could get a bit of clarification or confirmation on this?

Thanks again for all the help!!! But Im making progress!

Wade

Wade, that is my understanding of it, but I do not know your machine well enough to tell you to do it without doubt. I know that's what the wires are for, I just cannot say with certainty where EXACTLY they go in your cabinet. Sorry. I can tell you this much - if you check for continuity, you will find that the "E" wires will have continuity with the heads and wire, and the "W" wires will have continuity with the work table. You need someone more knowledgeable than I in this area.

Ran into another snag and a question, and though Id post it up here just so its here while I continue digging.

The snag... figuring out where the chiller attaches. Still scouring manuals, but I expected a power lead that looked like it would go to the transformer, and that was it, figuring with the panel on it, it just was on or off, and maintained a certain temp or tem differential... but there are a bunch of wires coming out of the conduit - all farily small (14ga - 16gaish). Looks like it would still go to the transformer, but its not making sense or matching any connectors, so guessing it must go elsewhere... where? I have not found yet, but digging through manuals now.

The question is - does anyone know if the plug to the used wire bin needs to be used? got a little goofyness there... one wire lose and not concected to anything and doesnt appear to go to any of the float switches, and a rats next under the tank. Since I dont have the wire diagram, Im not sure on how it all goes... but guessing it could be left diconnected and just watched and pumped out as needed til I get the money to register the machine and get the wiring diagrams.

Thanks again everyone!
Wade

I believe that chiller is run from it's own power line...
Most do.
I assume you were talking about the electrical hook-up and not the water line hook up.

Zahnrad, Could I also have the contact info for your techs?
I get a lot of calls from that part of the country and it doesn't always make sense for the customer to pay for my travel fom Ohio.
It would be nice to be able to recommend someone closer.

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC
jaycrumb@sbcglobal(dot)net

Jay, I'll shoot you an e* tomorrow with their digits and ampersands. One is a member here. He's in Jersey. The other is not, and is in Illinois. He's like Barbie - He goes EVERYWHERE.

I believe that chiller is run from it's own power line...
Most do.
I assume you were talking about the electrical hook-up and not the water line hook up.
{...}
Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC
jaycrumb@sbcglobal(dot)net

Yeah I was talking about the wires, rather than the two hoses... I think I got it squared away. Had a U,V, & W wire, in the conduit with the other 4, so guessing those three were the power... but havent pulled the covers off the chiller yet to verify, that there isnt another power feed. But will hopefully get to that today.

Been tinkering away... some things leave me with a sinking feeling (like the seller wont return emails or phone calls since last Friday, one pump kicked on and sounded horrible).. but could just be my lack of experience. Guess only time will tell

Thanks
Wade

I can say the pump on my Sodick makes noise until it is primed up. Maybe your pump is the same way. Hopefully all is well with your machine. Later Jason.

Thanks for the response. I got a guy that knows about running wires coming out tomorrow... hopefully a lot of what is normal and what is not will become common knowledge for me. And maybe start making progress towards actually running the machine. A guy can always hope right? :D

Gonna have to do some research on RS232 communication and software to use... so far both machines in the past came with software... and cables, so just had to learn it... this one appears working from ground up... But I gotta learn to run it before I need to worry about transferring programs :D

Thanks
Wade

I know this is a very old post. But I am looking for a picture or electrical diagram of wire feed connection in the back of the electrical cabinet , specially the ones that appear are control or ground cables that probably goes into the machine

Back