What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi FX-10 1997, Oval Machining

Jeff247

Plastic
hi, I have a problem with the calibration of the X and Y axes. I cut a circle and I have 0.003" of oval ..... how i fix this problem? (2.202" to 2.205")

Thanks

Most likely worn ball screws, you can try doing it at a different position on the travel, if it is mechanical backlash it is the ball screws (may be better in a different location) or thrust bearings (same in diff loc) ,not uncommon on a machine that old.

The machine does have (ball screw) pitch error compensation but the error may be to large to comp out and you would need to hire a service engineer to either laser or ball-bar test to calculate.

So you are saying it is possible for the machine to machine the same shape differently from one location to the other on the table? So if I have an old one like this then maybe I should try to use the other side of the table than what I usually use to avoid this? Or once the ball screws are worn out the machine will machine that way period? Just verifying so in case this occurs to me later on.

Hi Tvalenzuela1432,

To be sure, you can do a cutting test just by doing a punch of 10x10 and 20mm thickness, measure between faces with a palmer and if the difference is below 0.008mm should be OK. That means that geometrically machine is fine, but if you repeat the test on another place of the table the results can be different and the ballscrew could be more damaged in one side more that another. Just take the place in the table that goes better.
If you want to solve your problem you must decrease the offset in 0.0015, because the offset is radial. With this the wire would go near from the workpiece and do it bigger, just do ALL the entire program rough and skim because it seems to be few microns but could be contact.

Regards.

Back