What's new
What's new

New to wire EDM

scotthey

Plastic
So I'm just learning the ropes on these machines and I have a question Google isn't giving me the answer to.

In our shop we burn overnight. Generally we program the night burns to stop 1/4"-1/2" away from when the slug would drop.

My question is, in the morning when it's time to drop these slugs is it acceptable to program it from the opposite direction? I'm thinking we could avoid spending extra time going over what's already been cut.

We are a tool and die shop so we're not looking to hold ultra tight tolerances.

Thanks for any insight you might have!!

Why not just place a M00(m zero zero) at the spot you want to stop for the night without cutting the wire, and then continue the program in the morning from that spot?

If you are talking multiple parts, there is no reason cutting from the other direction should be any issue at all.

Correct, multiple parts.

We use the uncut feature on our machine so we can put as many parts on our machine as possible.

Interesting article.

Depending on the size of the part and program, you could cut certain areas and then put a clamp or plastic wedge or shim stock. This will keep the slug from damaging anything.

I had a 300 lb fixture, that I cut using a Makino U6.

I cut my relief areas as to clear some parallel clamps, then let it cut out the slug over night.

I've been running a repeat job about every 6 months, using that fixture, saves on the headache later.

You should take an insight look at your machine so that it does not hassle your production.

We use the uncut feature on our machine so we can put as many parts on our machine as possible.

Back