What's new
What's new

newbie with a Brother HS300

Mike Hill

Cast Iron
Hi all I just purchased a Brother HS300 that has been sitting idle for about 20 years, after some repairs I have the wire feeding, water pumping, and power to the wire. So my question is now what do I do to make some test cuts I have the manuals for it but it doesnt really have any example step by step programing, any help would be appreciated.

Mike

DA Bridge is dare to let da trolls see da promise land, dare is a lane on da Bridge to make sure they go home.
I have a complete set of manuals for it but they are not laid out very well, I may have to do some more studying.
Thanks
Mike

Just so you know..My grandson is finding gold in a grave pit..In the lower (No Trolls) part of Michigan.
We have targeted a best place river and are planning a panning trip this summer..
Ha. so there, that should puy you UP guys in your place.
Buck

Thanks to michiganbucks link I tried the machine out today, it seems to function how its supposed to, it had a couple of water leaks that I had to repair other than that it cut out the example parts, the only thing that may be a problem is the water in the cutting zone is turning a tea color, is that normal or is there a filtering problem?
thanks Mike

Yes, it's normal. I'm running my HS-300 right now and have had it for about 4 years. The water turnover in the tank is not enough to get the water clean while cutting. It will be clear on the start though. :)

They are a pretty cool little machine. Programming is not easy though as they use their own language.

Mike

Added: The color is the removed metal particles.

Thanks machinit2, I was hoping that it was normal, I never saw a EDM cutting till I tried it myself, do you happen to have the comunications software for the HS300, the only thing I tried so far is the example in the book am I correct the machine doesn't use a decmial point and is there CAM software that can deal with that?
Thanks for the help
Mike

Yes, I have the software. PM me your email address. You are right, no decimal points. So an X distance of .475" would be 47500 Just remove the decimal point and multiply by 100.

Putting in programs is kind of complicated. You have to feed the program, written normally with the decimals, and the software is used to convert the program before sending to the machine.

Mike

I did use tap water for the test cut, I ran the pump for about a hour, conductivity would not come down so I replaced the resin with equally aged new resin that came in the pile of stuff for the machine pumped for about another hour conductivity came down to 4.
Thanks Mike
p.s. machineit2 pm is on the way

They rosen systems are very very slow to bring the number down, hours and hours. I stopped using the tap water and went to bottled water which comes in at about a 4 or a 5 to begin with. It is reverse osmosis treated.

Email sent.

Mike

Back