What's new
What's new

Newbie looking for advice - WEDM

Ishira

Plastic
So I'm relatively new to wire EDM, having been training in my position for less than 6 months. My shop is a precision machining, and I EDM PDC, steel, and carbide.

We have on hand currently a Charmilles Robofil 200, a Fanuc Robocut a-1c, a Fanuc Robocut a-0c, a Fanuc Robocut a-C600iA, and two Agiecut DEM-315s. The Agies are only used to cut PDC and CBN pucks.

I am interested in any and all information that can be given to me about WEDM in general, EDMing the materials listed above, and tips about the machines listed above.

My trainer is decently knowledgeable in this field but lacks on the details sometimes, so I've turned to locating forums and scientific papers to help understand fundamentals and such.

I can answer more in-depth questions if needed about my situation as well.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ishira:
Probably the best and smartest EDM resource out there right now is Bud Guitrau.
He has written extensively on the subject in magazine articles and he has written an excellent book too.

A quick Google search will get you hooked up to some of his publications.
He is also an occasional contributor here, so do a search for his name on here too.

Another guy (seemingly from a previous generation) is Ed Huntress...Google him as well.

Last, dive into Practical Machinist...there is a wealth of information here too.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Check out EDM Today magazine as well (you can read past issues on their website).

If the manuals are around - Read Them! While the Fanuc and Charmilles books are a little dry, they're still a great resource for getting your head around some of the nuances of the systems that your mentor might not know or doesn't think you're ready for yet.

The AGIE books can be read for pleasure. They're full of hand-drawn illustrations, whole sections that appear to have been typed up at some engineers' desk and mimeographed, they just feel very personal and human and yet full of technical detail.

Thanks everyone for your input! I've dove into the manuals and as many online resources as I can find, and I've really started to learn a lot!

Check out these two books, they are fairly short but really helped me understand and even improve a few of the operations at my job when I started 3 years ago.

Wire EDM Handbook - Steve and Carl Sommer

The EDM Handbook - E. Bud Guitrau

So I'm relatively new to wire EDM, having been training in my position for less than 6 months. My shop is a precision machining, and I EDM PDC, steel, and carbide.

We have on hand currently a Charmilles Robofil 200, a Fanuc Robocut a-1c, a Fanuc Robocut a-0c, a Fanuc Robocut a-C600iA, and two Agiecut DEM-315s. The Agies are only used to cut PDC and CBN pucks.

I am interested in any and all information that can be given to me about WEDM in general, EDMing the materials listed above, and tips about the machines listed above.

My trainer is decently knowledgeable in this field but lacks on the details sometimes, so I've turned to locating forums and scientific papers to help understand fundamentals and such.

I can answer more in-depth questions if needed about my situation as well.

Thanks in advance!

If you have the manuals for those machines, I would read them a couple times. The books mentioned for sure will give you some insight. Also if you ever have some extra time and an open machine, I would be grabbing some stock and doing some test burns. The more time you can spend on the machines the better if you want to learn and gain experience.

Back