What's new
What's new

newbie question about wire EDM

cmjohnson

Hot Rolled
I'm curious about something about wire EDM.

1: Do any EDM machines use a take-up spool to handle the used EDM wire?
Because so far, all the EDM machines I've seen just dump the wire into a
garbage can, which is hardly space-efficient.

2: Can the wire be reused even one time? If so, how many times can
it be reused before it's no longer strong enough to be reliable?

CJ

CM

Wire is sacrificial when going through the cut. It would not handle another pass so no machines have a take up spool as far as I know. If you were to take a hi-mag photo of the wire after it has been through a cut you would know that it cannot be used again. The wire after being used once is a different size than you started with, has lost its coating (if a coated wire) and has lost its tensile strength and is only good for scrap.

TMD

The old Charmilles/Andrew machines do use a take-up spool.

As TMD has pointed out, there are more than a few reasons that the wire cannot be used a second time.

cmjohnson,

Here is a microscope photograph of .010" CobraCut B wire before/after it's been through a cut.

wire.jpg

Can always count on PM for great photo's!!!!

I'll only mention that the wire retains about 95% of its weight for scrap value. Also Some WEDM's have a chopper that chops the used wire into small pieces... Great for space but adds another maintenance item to the machine and I heard that scrap rates vary and may be less in certain areas for the chopped wire, BUT may be higher in other areas...

Take-up reels went away with the advent of automatic wire threading; getting the wire to thread through the guides and workpiece was simple compared to getting it to tie itself to the wire on the take-up reel! The solution of sending waste wire to a hopper was not space-saving, but rather a good way to avoid making an already complex system even more so. :willy_nilly:

Reusing wire is a snap! You just have to send it back to be recycled first... ;)

Hmmm,

Maybe I recall incorrectly... Left Agie in late '84....

I sat back... closed my eyes, thought back and DO remember that they had take up spools... D Fox is correct, take up spools went away with the introduction of threaders - no way to automatically re-tie the wire once it was broken... Sorry, my memory is not what it used to be...

Greg

Last edited:
My avatar photo is of a DEM315 (with TechStar mod.) in the process of cutting. I use that machine most every day, and I can say with great confidence that it does indeed utilise a take-up spool. ;)

No worries about the memory, Greg... I can't even begin to recall how much I don't remember about the machines I've run over the years... :scratchchin:

re used wire

Last machines i´ve seen where chinesse made machines, used for basical cuts, not for accuracy just to cut sleeves or similar.

Today is doesn´t make sense, becouse most of the wire edm machines have automatic wire threaders, then every time we have wire breaks or different figures to be cut at one time the machine is going to re-thread the wire, the final result could be incontinuos parts of wire in your "new" spool, so the day you are re-using it you will have wire breaks everywhere, apart from the total discontrol in the accuracy with that wire.

The price of the wire is cheap comparing with the price of the worked hour of the machine, you really don´t save too much money re using the wire if you think in all the problems you could have with it.

Back