What's new
What's new

Offset for rough cut with Brother Wire EDM

SBAER

Hot Rolled
If I want to make a cut that roughs out a cut followed by a skim cut do I have to add the offset in using my CAM program? I am making the toolpath by cutting and pasting a tool path made in HSM express using a 0.010" cutter and letting the CAM do the tool comp. How much offset is appropriate for 1/4" thick high speed steel?
The Brother manual does not mention anything about offset compensation for rough cuts in the Technology setting part of the manual.
As I understand, the rough cut is done at high flush and the skim cut done at low flush.

You can change the offset amount within your program.
The initial offset amount always comes from the active technology, but you can overwrite it with a G10 command.
G10 X,Y,I,J,V,F,B,U
where:
X: Spark cycle
Y: Spark Energy
I: Wire speed
J: Wire tension
V: Gap voltage
F: Feed rate
B: Offset amount
U: Technology condition number

While technically, you CAN change only the offset amount between rough and skim, but the problem is that it isn't enough.
There are a whole lot more differences than simply the offset amount, the energy, gap, cycle, speed also needs to be different for proper results.

So in reality the best way is to either:
A: Pick a rough condition and run the cycle, then pick a different, skim condition and run the very same ccycle again.
or:
B: Once you know the condition numbers ( they are on the top of the condition screen, always an 8 digit number ), you can call them explicitly with the G10 U command.
If you need further modification, you can combine the option codes in one block or multiple blocks.
SO for example the block:

G10 U13010103 Y12 B.0058

Will call condition # 13010103, then overrides the Spark Energy to tap 12, and overrides offset to .0058.

Frankly, I use the former and just explicitly set it in the condition screen.

Back