What's new
What's new

Ona Prima E400 jagged circles

simcro1

Plastic
I have a problem with an E400 Ona prima

It cuts straight lines fine but when cutting a radius it is jagged and has slight flats on it all the way round

I have checked the top and bottom guides and they are solid

The wire tensioner seems to be working although not strong

I cut it rough then turned the flushing right down and skimmed it 3 times

but it was still mis-shaped

The X and Y seem to run smooth as well

I am at a loss to what it is

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me

thanks

That would be too easy, the circle was done on the machine via the edit program
it is 3 lines of code using G03

Hi simcro1:
If it's not the code, then it must be either in the way the machine is translating the instructions into power to the servos, or it's something mechanical that is obstructing the smooth motion of the tables even though the commands to the servos are good, or maybe it's something in the wire transport system that is boogering the smooth motion of the wire.
Your job is to figure out which it is.

I was taught by a service technician to wire cut a male octagon out of something very stable like hardened A-2, holding it with only one tab so it can be skimmed, then cut the tab below the flats on the octagon and interrogate the finished part to see whether the motion errors occur when two axes are moving together or whether there is backlash or dragging in the motion system.

An octagon is nice because it is easy to check with nothing more than a tenths clock and a surface plate.
If there are motion errors from any cause, they often tend to be different when two axes move together compared to when only one axis moves at a time, or so I was told.
They will show up as a dimensional error and a surface finish problem on the diagonals compared to the primary flats that a tenths clock will pick up.
If the finish is crap all the way around the octagon, I was told to look first at the wire transport system.

Once you've done that, and the test piece is no good, your problem is to figure out why...if dimensions across the primary flats are identical, it's not likely to be a thrust bearing or a ballscrew error because you had to reverse both axes to make it all the way around the shape.
If you get a surface finish problem on the diagonals and a dimensional problem on the diagonals but not on the primary flats, you need to dig deeper.
It can be as simple as a dragging tank seal or as complicated as a failing servomotor or drive or encoder or computer.

So do that test first, and see what you get.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hello Marcus

Thanks for your time to send me this

I will try all these out and see where that leads me

again thank you

regards

Simon

Back