What's new
What's new

OT...interesting problem ..with.... Makino U6 and some information.....

JS

Stainless
I had a touch or part sensing / location error problem

The best, I can figure is it developed over time.

For machines using PICO guides

Neither of these items are on the maintenance list.

Top guide: the water jet ceramic induction tube will have wear issues.

I actually had a wire break off and get stuck in the tube. I have no idea how it happened.

Bottom guide: the water driven wheel O rings will leak and take out the bearings.

Top guide: the water jet ceramic induction tube will have wear issues.

I actually had a wire break off and get stuck in the tube. I have no idea how it happened.

Bottom guide: the water driven wheel O rings will leak and take out the bearings.

Not exactly sure what you are referring to by the " water jet ceramic induction tube" ?

I have had little pieces of wire stuck in the power feed area that can be annoying, but don't see how the water jet nozzle can afford anything blocking it?

At the same time, debris from the wire spool or dried on sludge does mess things up in the most unexpected ways in the upper head area!

As a sidenote for the "Unexpected Problem" column: I had no idea how important good flush cup seals can be!
I know Makino is EXTRRREEEMELY proud of those $.25 worth little orange and white pieces of rubber, but they can make your life a living hell when chasing down stupid
and unexpected wire breaks!
Seriously, I truly wish Makino made those things to be $5.00/pc, and made them to be a mandatory replacement after 30 hours of cutting time ( or change with every spool perhaps )

The upper PICO guide uses a water jet to thread the wire.

The jet screen is a regular maintenance item.

Under that is a ceramic wire /water induction nozzle.

I look for the description Monday, maybe find a drawing out of the manual.

I know Makino is EXTRRREEEMELY proud of those $.25 worth little orange and white pieces of rubber, but they can make your life a living hell when chasing down stupid and unexpected wire breaks!
Seriously, I truly wish Makino made those things to be $5.00/pc, and made them to be a mandatory replacement after 30 hours of cutting time ( or change with every spool perhaps )

SeymourDumore,

No need for the $5 you'd be willing to pay for the simple reminder to replace them. Instead, a pro-active Sales & Marketing Manager, with Applications, Parts and Service support could easily announce that these seals are now provided free and can be found (with instructions) taped to the label of each spool of a Makino or SST-supplied EDM wire.

This strategy will not help them sell more wire, but they will reduce their users' unnecessary downtime (and angst, as you've expressed), incentivize their users to sensibly replace them at no cost (and no excuse), and reduce their incoming phone calls for, "$.25 worth little orange and white pieces of rubber".

A cynical elbow-jab for you, filed under; "Be careful of what you wish for." Because you tipped your hand and revealed how much these "pieces of rubber", are actually worth to you, don't be surprised if the next time you order them, they'll be $5, lol.

Bud

Well, I reviewed the U6 manual, the machine uses a PICO guide system.

I have had a wire break off and get stuck in this.

P/N Z491J0010000 W.J. NOZZLE M14710*D2.0 requires (1)

And I had two (2) bearing failures in the lower head unit P/N 33EC095A-012.

Legend number 125-15 or P/N Z241A001700 ......description Bearing DDRF-1960ZZ...requires (2)

While it is apart I'm replacing the mini packing MYA P/N Z269p2101000 requires (1)

JS,

Have you contacted Makino Technical Support at 1-888-625-4664 to discuss some of these issues you are struggling with?

As for your original pick-up location accuracy issue, you are correct that there are many machine maintenance related items that can contribute to this error. The (x2) most common issues I have seen are:

1) Dirty I-Roller on the Upper Head
This is the metal roller that is located directly under the main D-Shaft Tension Roller that sandwiches and grips the wire between the H (rubber) and I (metal) rollers. The metal I-Roller serves as an induction pick-up point again the wire for part sensing, so when this roller becomes dirty, the pick-up accuracy can degrade. This roller should be cleaned monthly with denatured alcohol.

2) Dirty Wire
Not all wire is created equal! :D Lower quality wire can contain oil and debris from the wire drawing manufacturing process, and this dirtiness will affect the pick-up accuracy. Dirty and poor-quality wire will also soil the rollers quickly, which creates additional cleaning maintenance.

The Bearings in the Lower Head (like all bearings) will require periodic replacement. The Ceramic K-Roller in the Makino Lower Head contains seals and grease caps to isolate and keep the bearings as clean as possible. These seal and bearings will require replacements, but the K-Roller assembly caps should be cleaned and re-greased every 3 to 6 months depending on machine use and application. While the bearings and seals in the Lower Head do not last forever, isolating them like they are does extend their useful service life, and these should be replaced somewhere in the 2~3 year interval on average.

-Brian

JS,

Have you been able to resolve your machine issue, and have you called in to the Technical Support system?

I had one other thought and question that I left off my last reply...

- What type of wire are you using?

- What amount of pick-up cycle location error are you experiencing?

If you are using a Coated Wire, especially a high-speed coated wire, the pick-up accuracy will not be as accurate. Brass Wire will generally provide the highest level of pick-up precision, as it is usually cleaner with a more consistent surface structure.

-Brian

Back