OT...interesting problem ..with.... Makino U6 and some information.....
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT...interesting problem ..with.... Makino U6 and some information.....

I had a touch or part sensing / location error problem

The best, I can figure is it developed over time.

For machines using PICO guides

Neither of these items are on the maintenance list.

Top guide: the water jet ceramic induction tube will have wear issues.

I actually had a wire break off and get stuck in the tube. I have no idea how it happened.

Bottom guide: the water driven wheel O rings will leak and take out the bearings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Top guide: the water jet ceramic induction tube will have wear issues.

I actually had a wire break off and get stuck in the tube. I have no idea how it happened.

Bottom guide: the water driven wheel O rings will leak and take out the bearings.
    Not exactly sure what you are referring to by the " water jet ceramic induction tube" ?

I have had little pieces of wire stuck in the power feed area that can be annoying, but don't see how the water jet nozzle can afford anything blocking it?

At the same time, debris from the wire spool or dried on sludge does mess things up in the most unexpected ways in the upper head area!

As a sidenote for the "Unexpected Problem" column: I had no idea how important good flush cup seals can be!
    I know Makino is EXTRRREEEMELY proud of those $.25 worth little orange and white pieces of rubber, but they can make your life a living hell when chasing down stupid
    and unexpected wire breaks!
    Seriously, I truly wish Makino made those things to be $5.00/pc, and made them to be a mandatory replacement after 30 hours of cutting time ( or change with every spool perhaps )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The upper PICO guide uses a water jet to thread the wire.

The jet screen is a regular maintenance item.

Under that is a ceramic wire /water induction nozzle.

I look for the description Monday, maybe find a drawing out of the manual.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    I know Makino is EXTRRREEEMELY proud of those $.25 worth little orange and white pieces of rubber, but they can make your life a living hell when chasing down stupid and unexpected wire breaks!
    Seriously, I truly wish Makino made those things to be $5.00/pc, and made them to be a mandatory replacement after 30 hours of cutting time ( or change with every spool perhaps )
    SeymourDumore,

No need for the $5 you'd be willing to pay for the simple reminder to replace them. Instead, a pro-active Sales & Marketing Manager, with Applications, Parts and Service support could easily announce that these seals are now provided free and can be found (with instructions) taped to the label of each spool of a Makino or SST-supplied EDM wire.

This strategy will not help them sell more wire, but they will reduce their users' unnecessary downtime (and angst, as you've expressed), incentivize their users to sensibly replace them at no cost (and no excuse), and reduce their incoming phone calls for, "$.25 worth little orange and white pieces of rubber".

A cynical elbow-jab for you, filed under; "Be careful of what you wish for." Because you tipped your hand and revealed how much these "pieces of rubber", are actually worth to you, don't be surprised if the next time you order them, they'll be $5, lol.

Bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I reviewed the U6 manual, the machine uses a PICO guide system.

I have had a wire break off and get stuck in this.

P/N Z491J0010000 W.J. NOZZLE M14710*D2.0 requires (1)

And I had two (2) bearing failures in the lower head unit P/N 33EC095A-012.

Legend number 125-15 or P/N Z241A001700 ......description Bearing DDRF-1960ZZ...requires (2)

While it is apart I'm replacing the mini packing MYA P/N Z269p2101000 requires (1)