What's new
What's new

ozone generator-any help on a wedm with black slime in the tank?

greggv

Hot Rolled
I remember reading in EDM Today magazine that an ozone generator will kill this black slimey stuff in our WEDM machine. Is this true? What kind of generator do you guys in the know use? And does it really help?

Ozone generator

Hi greggv,

Too lazy to re-explain this (sorry),
I've copied one of my earlier explanations regarding organic contamination:

"The recirculating water in your WEDM is part of the dielectric system but it is also a mini-ecosystem in which bacteria can flourish. The presence of bacteria is revealed by a slippery, dark-colored slime that coats the sides of the reservoir and work tank. Just as this slimy bacteria coats everything exposed to the dielectric water, it also enters and coats the filters and resin beads and can render them both useless, even right after a filter or resin change.

Bacteria cannot be filtered out and will stubbornly continue to multiply, hiding inside every nook and cranny of convoluted hoses and solenoids. There are biocides available to counter bacteria, but these are all chemicals additives that can upset the chemistry and conductivity of the water. Instead, when faced with this problem, consider the use of an ozone generator, similar to the ones used in swimming pools and spas.

Ozone is a form of oxygen with three atoms linked together (O3) instead of two (O2), like the oxygen we breathe. Ozone is often called, “activated oxygen” or “trivalent oxygen”. This extra atom is a highly reactive oxidizer and therefore, short-lived.

Ozone is created naturally in the atmosphere in the presence of electricity (lightning) and ultraviolet rays (sunlight). Man-made ozone can be produced photo-chemically with ultraviolet light or electrical discharges (corona discharges). In a closed-loop dielectric system equipped with an ozone generator, O3 is injected into the DI water where it readily oxidizes organic matter by rupturing the walls of organic cells, destroying them as it gives up its extra atom in the process and harmlessly reverts back into pure oxygen."

This one is from Ebbco.
800-809-3901

There is a good graphic in EDM Today showing how it works. Let us know how you make out.

Bud Guitrau

Thanks for the explanation, Bud. I believe it was your article that I read in EDM Today that brought me to this. I'm going to order one of these things and see how it does. I'm sure it can't hurt, huh?

Personally, I wouldn't operate a machine without one. Many guys don't have one and don't have any bacteria problems, but it only takes once. I look at it like I do a fire... it's easier to prevent a fire than it is to put it out. Unfortunately, you have a fire.

Note: While the machine is down for the O3 generator retrofit (easy-peasy), clean everything. Wearing elbow-length, latex gloves, manually clean and scrub everything you can see and reach. You can't get it all, but it will help the O3 generator clean faster. When "done", cycle the flush pumps through all pressures and fill and drain the worktank several times, while hosing the table and tank clean. Finally, change the water, resin and every filter on the machine for a fresh start.

Bud,

I have a sinker, with new Commonwealth oil. I don't use the machine much, and the oil
has taken on a bad smell. The oil is about 6 yrs old, but with less than 10 hours of cutting.
Will the Ozone generator get rid of the smell.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Paul,

The ozone generator will not function in oil as there is almost no O2 to convert to O3.

Sent you a PM to call.

BG

Ozone will break down some types of materials like certain plastics or rubbers. Be aware, older machines are more at risk, due to the use of some compounds that are no longer used.

Back