What's new
What's new

Part allignment

Rontec

Plastic
Hi, i am in dispute with our wire programmer. we have 3 Agie Charmilles wire machines 4020, 4030 and a 2020. all 3 are set with fixtures to hold 8 finished turned components which require a wired profile concentric to the outer 82mm dia but we are having concentricity issues. the fixtures are pretty flat and the parts are square. The parts have a different bore dia at each end, 13.1mm and 28.5mm. we currently clock over the top to check flatness, centre find the top 13.1mm dia hole and then by moving to the hole centre he centre finds the 28.5mm hole at the bottom by moving X,Y only. He then splits the difference and sets a datum between the two points and does this for each part then edits the positions in the program. we have 0.03mm concentricty tolerance which rarely comes in and if it does its usually only one end.
The machines are quite old but there must be an easier/more positive way by tilting the wire to allign with the 2 holes. the concentricity of the 2 holes in the turned blanks are within 0.01mm before we start.
I have never had any wire experience with programming wire machines and welcome any ideas or solutions.

Hi, i am in dispute with our wire programmer. we have 3 Agie Charmilles wire machines 4020, 4030 and a 2020. all 3 are set with fixtures to hold 8 finished turned components which require a wired profile concentric to the outer 82mm dia but we are having concentricity issues. the fixtures are pretty flat and the parts are square. The parts have a different bore dia at each end, 13.1mm and 28.5mm. we currently clock over the top to check flatness, centre find the top 13.1mm dia hole and then by moving to the hole centre he centre finds the 28.5mm hole at the bottom by moving X,Y only. He then splits the difference and sets a datum between the two points and does this for each part then edits the positions in the program. we have 0.03mm concentricty tolerance which rarely comes in and if it does its usually only one end.
The machines are quite old but there must be an easier/more positive way by tilting the wire to allign with the 2 holes. the concentricity of the 2 holes in the turned blanks are within 0.01mm before we start.
I have never had any wire experience with programming wire machines and welcome any ideas or solutions.

So with two different diameters on the top to bottom you are cutting a cone, correct? Are you cutting with a 4xis program? How much stock are you removing from the part? I'm not sure why you would find center at the top and then split the difference from the bottom. If you want to be concentric with the OD you need to be square (aligned) to the part not the hole, you either need to locate off the outside of the part for best accuracy, or your start hole needs to be concentric to the outside with a good finish so you could just pick up there and be on center. If your holes that you roughed in are not concentric to the outside, using them to set your ZERO isn't going to give you good results.

For clarification, your part is an 82mm cylinder with a stepped bore all the way thru, 28.5mm stepping down to 13.1mm, right?

Are you cutting a tapered feature thru the entire bore?

If both holes are concentric to .01mm before WEDM, then why use both holes to find center of the part?

If you need to maintain conecentric to both the top and bottom edges of both holes, then you would need to tilt the wire while cutting. Aligning as you are now will move you off center of one or both holes if the holes are not concentric to eachother, ie both holes could be .01mm concentric to the outside, but in a different direction because the bores are not concentric to eachother.

Back