What's new
What's new

Polishing Sodick AD35L

Vankata

Plastic
Hello to all colleagues! I need a little help. Is there anything specific that needs to be done to achieve VDI 3? We did a test and started the machine on VDI 2 but the end result was VDI 15. Until now we have always worked without flushing and for that we tried again but the result does not suit us. The electrode was polished to 1000 grit sandpaper

Hi Vankata:
Something is badly wrong here, and I don't know how much is just the translation from Bulgarian into English.

You say "we have always worked without flushing".

The AD 35L is a sinker EDM machine...I don't understand how you can make it burn at all without flushing.
Now it IS a linear motor machine so if you mean
"without flushing holes drilled in the electrode, using only jump flushing" your comment makes perfect sense.

By the way, "jump flushing" is a way of saying "using the pumping action of the ram to force EDM oil into and out of the spark gap" just so we understand each other.

If I understand correctly, that's what you are talking about.
If so, the flushing should be good enough and that is not the reason you can't get the finish you want.

There are three main reasons why a bad finish happens:
1) the dielectric oil is so dirty the contaminants spark in the gap instead of the electrode sparking in the gap...maybe change the filters and try again.
2) the electrode material is too coarse grained for the finish you want...try a copper electrode instead of a graphite electrode.
3) you burned too much away in the roughing burn and it won't clean up in the finishing burn...check the size of the roughing and finishing orbits.

If you are setting up for a VDI 2 and you are getting a VDI 15, I'd look first to see if you have enough material left to clean up after roughing: maybe your roughing orbit is too big (or your finishing orbit is too small).

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hi Marcus,

Sorry for the translation earlier. Jump flushing what you described is not what I meant. I was talking about the blue, plastic, "coolant" tubes that you can run EDM oil through and point them directly at the area being machined. We generally dont use them, but we tried them just in case. Seems like they are not relevant.

About your suggestions.

The dielectric oil is allmost new. And the filters are clean.
The electroeds are made of copper not graphite. Two of them, both pollished with a 3 micron paste.
Roughinh electroed is 0.26mm undersized, and the finishing electroed is 0.16mm. The machine calculated 16 cycles. Only the first 2 cycles use the roughing electroed. From that the last 7-8 are the polishing cycles.

If I understnad you correctly, by "orbits" you are reffering to the amount of undersize on each electrode.

Any other suggestions why it isn`t working?

Thanks a lot!

From reading our AD35l manual, I think the polishing success depends on your steel. High purity, high polish ability steels work well and are recommended. I remember STAVAX being one recommendation.

What steel are you using?

b66a08deddf35ab4bb96ab42ca1a8301.jpg

This is the page from one of the manuals. 1.2379 which is D2 isn’t listed. But doesn’t meant it won’t work.

I’ve not tired the mirror machining yet as it’s once of my side quests I’ve not done yet. So I can’t advise any more but I hope the image is helpful for any prerequisites you may have missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back