What's new
What's new

Is it Possible (or even Advisable) to retrofit a wire EDM for a wire chopper?

BelchFire

Plastic
I have an older Mitsubishi RA-90 and it loves to ball the wire up. Is it possible, or even advisable, to retrofit this machine for a wire chopper?

It will be better/cheaper if you rebuild the pinch rollers where the wire comes out
replace the rollers, bearings, shafts etc, and the wire will come out with out balling up.

Or if available, can you get or make crimp rollers? I ran a charmilles that you could use smooth rollers or crimp rollers. The theory (I think) was with the wire in a zig zag shape would be more compact.

But agree with above, if you are having problems you might have some damage somewhere in the rollers and/or shafts, bearings etc.

Hi BelchFire I think jyd12f has reason, it is better to change shaft+bearing+pinch and capstan rollers. If you want to make sure if the collection section is already damaged, just place a clock on the shaft of the motion roller without the roller and if it jumps more than 0.01, must be changed. First of all clean the surface the better possible before measuring with clock. In my opinion, is better to work without wire chopper no added vibrations to the wire that directly affects to workpiece and finish surface.

Regards.

Back