What's new
What's new

Quick question about adaptive control

tvalenzuela1432

Aluminum
Hello needed a bit of info to get better understanding on Adaptive control. If you don't have adaptive control on will the machine still keep your H1=.0081 offset with a G41 in program? We don't have a way to measure exactly my ID of my part and I didn't catch that my programmer had an M91 at the beginning and I just wanted to know if I was screwed or not. It runs for a very long time.

Thanks,
Tvalen1432

Adaptive control only deals with the feed rate and current levels during the cut. Basically it smooths the cut and keeps the wire from braking.

If that is so then why with all my normal offsets, is my part over sized and only showed one pass on the program check screen even though there is 5 in the program. Normally it would show the cut progression paths but I still didn't catch it before I cut.

Confused

Only on the program check screen. I totally dropped the ball yesterday and didn't catch the warning signs. Anal Cranial Inversion for sure. I should of seen the M91 in beginning of program, should of payed attention that it only showed one pass on program check, and I should of seen the adaptive control light not on while cutting. With that out of the way... to understand adaptive control a little better, what all does it affect in the cut? How is PM different in it's function? For some reason the two concepts just don't click in my head and I figure if I keep asking different people, eventually they will tell me in a way that I will get it finally. IDK. LOL.
I do appreciate your input and I thank you.

Tvalen1432

UPDATE:
Yes machining without Adaptive Control will not hold any offsets. As a mater of fact it is what controls the side of the spark(offset wise) and allows you to sometimes stabilize the cut. If you programmed the part to cut along the part line and don't use adaptive control it can be around 0.030 more than part dimensions as I just found out. Live and learn and try not to do it again. LOL. That is why as you are exiting the part it is turned off to minimize the burr that is left(I assume).

Tvalen1432

This is from a workbook supplied by mits dated 11/1/2007. A little dated but I'm sure the information is still valid hope it helps.Untitled.jpg

Thats kinda weird. All the machines I ran AC monitors the wire and makes appropriate adjustments to keep a stable burn. Never had anything to do with offsets.

Thats kinda weird. All the machines I ran AC monitors the wire and makes appropriate adjustments to keep a stable burn. Never had anything to do with offsets.

It doesn't.

As stated, it is simply about voltage, current, and feed rate control. That is all. OP has other issues with the program or machine if it is doing something else. I can state categorically that I have cut parts without AC engaged ( M91 ) and the offset is still effective. AC has positively zero to do with what side or whether the offset is effected. That is completely the function of G41/G42/G40, storing the offset variables, and CALLING the offset variables.

OP - did the programmer call an H1=x.xxxx value? Did the programmer call the offset to activate it? "H1" Did the programmer call a G41/G42 offset? Were there at least 3 positioning moves before the area that you measured? ( some of the older machines require 3 positioning moves to effect the offset properly )

It is also possible that if the wire is not completely buried in material, that it simply "shot by" the material that should have been removed, leaving what you mistook to be improper offset.

There is no shortage of things it "could" have been.

Good luck.

100% agree with this^ "could be" scale factor is set to 1.01? I for sure know AC did not cause the problem.

I got all excited at first and went to check the set scale factor and :wrong: it is set to 1.000. So that couldn't be it. Unless the program scale factor was set wrong? Which would be on program side out of my control but just looking anywhere to fix.

thank you,
Tvalen1432

Can you tell me the name of the book from which this came. Maybe I can get it from them or somewhere too. The info and help the better right? Thank you so much by the way.

Tvalen1432

Honestly it sounds more like your offset is to the wrong side or not being called up at all. The book came with the machines when they were purchased. Its called "A-Series ADVANCED (W31) Control WEDM Workbook" there is a part number for the book p/n: U62WAW31. I'm sure even if you had the newest book the same general info will be in there. I would contact MC Machinery.

Well I was reluctant to update once again do to the fact that I should be sitting in the corner on a stool with a "DUNCE":dunce: hat on. Seems my co-worker and myself measured it wrong and that is why nothing made sense to some of you.:nutter: In our defense, we needed the proper tools to measure a pear type shape correctly. Don't judge. It took a lot to admit. Going back to my corner now. LOL. But on the up side I did learn a few things from the comments.

Tvalen1432

Well I was reluctant to update once again do to the fact that I should be sitting in the corner on a stool with a "DUNCE":dunce: hat on. Seems my co-worker and myself measured it wrong and that is why nothing made sense to some of you.:nutter: In our defense, we needed the proper tools to measure a pear type shape correctly. Don't judge. It took a lot to admit. Going back to my corner now. LOL. But on the up side I did learn a few things from the comments.

Tvalen1432

We've all done it. All that matters is that the customer was taken care of and you learned something along the way. Good job.

Plastic Dreams,
That is certainly a challenge when your boss comes in and says, "I welded this now cut it with the last offset you had it at before it went to deep and run it in one pass." LMAO. And by the way the last pass was at E1034 and I have to remove about 0.050 weld. Or when they want it done in 2 or 3 passes but to come out like a 5-6 pass part. :wall:

Good Times
Tvalen1432

Back