What's new
What's new

Resharpen wire chopper Mits FA20

RJT

Titanium
Looks like we could grind the carbide blades between centers and lower the bushing by however much we grid off the blades. Anyone done it? Any tricks I should know about? We have already reversed the blades in the housing to expose a fresh edge of the blades, but you can only do it once as far as I can tell. Our newest Fanuc wire doesn't have a chopper (first wire EDM I've ever had that doesn't) and other than the used wire being harder to handle, I don't see any down side to not having one. Avoids a whole maintenance issue.

Why don't you just buy a new unit? They are £300.00 here in the UK, they last for a couple of years, that's only 1/2 of a £ per day.

Our shop manager removed the chopper off of our Mits shortly after it was purchased. He was afraid it would cause problems. The wire just runs into a large tub.

Does the wire lay flat and coil, or just end up in a huge birds nest and short out? When chopper fails on our machine its the latter. Maybe without the unit on it would act differently.

Does the wire lay flat and coil, or just end up in a huge birds nest and short out? When chopper fails on our machine its the latter. Maybe without the unit on it would act differently.

We have a plastic bin behind our Makino it comes out and lays flat for the most part. As long as you empty it each week never seems to be an issue

Back