What's new
What's new

Ribs in edm sink

kaigamw13

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I m trying to make a rib like pattern which is 0.4 up and 0.2 down for a container. I ve done many in steel but now I have to do it in ampcoloy and the problem is the wear of the electrodes. I use graphite. But to finish one rib I will probably need like 4 electrodes!!! And I have to do 60!!!so I guess I do something wrong.
I use a form 3000 usually but I also have a form 550 and a Makino edaf 2.i m not very experienced so if someone could point me in the right direction as to what to try or change in my technologies.

Your results are normal. Most heavier sinker operations use multiple electrodes...it's just the name of the game. Recycle electrodes, use your last 2 for roughing and newer ones for finishing.

plastikdreams
Thanks for the suggestions. I ll keep them in mind. That ampcoloy it sure is tough against graphite

Also I m interested inany suggestions on what to change in a technology to have less wear.

Kaigamw13,

What generator and control do you have on your Makino EDAF2 machine? Makino has developed new condition settings for ampcoloy (Copper Alloy) that greatly improve speed and reduce electrode wear. The conditions that were developed for the latest ES200A generator (EDAF2 HEAT) reduce cycle time by 50% and electrode wear by 50% compared to the prior conditions!

-Brian

To machine Ampcoloy use negative polarity, low On-Times 16-20 micro seconds and high amperage. In your Form 550 you should have a tech file GRAM which has this in it. For each surface finish there are usually 2 settings available example 353 and 352 us the one that has the lower On-Time value and higher Amperage. This will give yo the best speed and lowest wear.

Yeah exactly.. Lower ON times. Neg polarity. The most important thing is good flushing. Normally with steel you don't want too much, well with moldmax flush as much as you can. Good cross flow works well.

Thanks for the info but I have never used the negative polarity you suggest. I just tick the polarity inversion or does it need sth more? Also as both of you suggest I ll choose the highest amperage but it's kind of hard because we need good surface!!!
I ll experiment today and see

Back