What's new
What's new

New Die Sinker

Engineer2

Plastic
Currently we're orienting on EDM die sinkers, since we would like to insource this machining method.
We're quite charmed on the Mitsubishi SG12-R machine, which we compared in the end to an Sodick AG60L and an GF Form X400.
The ONA and Makino are out of the picture for our comparison since the ONA does not meet our demands, and unfortunatelly we experienced that the reseller of Makino in our region is non responsive to our mails and calls. Which is a bummer since Makino seems to be well respected brand also.

We found that the main advantage of the Mitsubishi over the Sodick and the GF is the ease of programming and the automatical adjusting of the program to optimize the maching conditions to an optimum.

The machine will be mainly used for high precision component making along side our own 3 axis Yasda milling machine
This Die sinker will be our first, so I would like to get your opinion if we're looking in the right direction.

Thanks in advance !

Hi Engineer 2:
A couple of things:

1) Sinkers are not normally hard to program...I'm a bit surprised that you would see enough difference between brands to let it influence your decision so profoundly.

2) Your choice will depend a lot on what you expect to do with it; I believe Makino is still king if your goal is extreme precision especially with small burns.
Sodick with it's linear motor technology is (or was) the king of burning with trodes that are hard to flush.
Mits appears to be a good general purpose machine.
GF/Charmilles was once a premier Swiss brand with repair costs priced accordingly: I don't know how its reputation has fared since it went on the "Made in Asia" bandwagon along with so many other once top of the line brands.

3) Do you have the means to make electrodes?
If you want to use graphite (most do because it has lots of advantages) you need a way to make trodes without soiling the whole shop and trashing all the machines (graphite is incredibly dirty and abrasive too.)

4) Do you have a way to repeatably mount and inspect electrodes and workpieces.
A common tooling system is 3R, others are Erowa and Hirschmann...they are all EXPENSIVE, but you need something accurate enough to be able to capitalize on the accuracy of modern sinkers.

I don't know if you're well informed already on all this, but if you're new and just getting into this technology, these are important things to consider.

All can be solved, but it's not cheap.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back