What's new
What's new

Deckel sinker EDM's... any support ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Every once in a while I get tempted by a seemingly pristine Deckel sinker EDM for sale cheap. But typically they are mid 1980's vintage and even though I know the scoop on Deckel mills I know nothing about Deckel EDM's. I seem to recall they weren't actually made by Deckel.... but regardless, who if anyone works on these and supplies electronic parts ?

Deckel Sinkers

I worked for Hurco in Indy from 1988 to 1992. During that time, Deckel Mills and EDM were marketed by the Hurco group. Deckel did in fact build their own EMD's in Wolfratshausen Germany. Sometime in 92/93, the EDM division of Deckel was sold off to a Private individual and he continued to build the machines with the same personel in the same facility under the name Multiform. They also offered a tiawaneese entry level CNC sinker but these machines were junk by comparison. The DE-10, DE-15, and DE-25 were excellent drop tank machines, but the adaptive control being developed by the major EDM players at that time could usually outperform the Deckels. Not saying the Deckel's were no good, just not quite as fast burning as a Charmilles or Mitsubishi which were less money.

A Englishman by the name of Tony Langdon was doing the service on the Deckels here in the States, but I believe Tony has gone back to his home in the UK. He was quite knowledgeable about the Deckel EDM's.

Multiform did not last too long and sometime around 94/95, Multiform sold to Ingersoll I believe, and I recall that Dieter Hanson (European EDM Mfg) had some interest in what was left of the original Deckel EDM.

Don't really know now who would be a good source for EDM service. Perhaps Don Sentner (Dr.Deckel?) might be as good as any source.

I actually was on the 4 man team that designed the Deckel EDM's starting n 1979 onward. I designed the Generator power supplies and the Gap Control and some other smaller parts. I dont have any drawings anymore but might be able to assist you over the phone. They were a great machine but as you see, support was minimal to zero after Deckel was sold off and the thing fell apart
If you are interested in the history I would be more than happy to talk about it!!
Regards
Bob

Yes, Tony Langdon did work on them, he upgraded mine to the Multiform software from the Center control that was on the early models, Multiform is much better, has canned down/orbit like newer EDM, enter start and finish settings and it steps down automatic. Only problem I have is servo drives,(Berger-Lahr) they seem to fail regularly, have some spare machines for drives, would like to retrofit new drives, anyone know of a source to repair the drive units? Tony did repair or had them repaired for me in the past, but he disappeared from the states as far as I know around 2005.
RK

Hi All
I have a Deckel DE 10-C EDM machine. we need some information about the control card which is missing in this machine which we have at the moment. we also have catalogs about the machine. but we don't have any information about that card so can you please recommend us a place to buy it or to find it.
Herewith attached the photos of the missing control card.
Vipul

Back