What's new
What's new

Seeking Recommendations for Sinker EDM Machine

charlie gary

Stainless
I have a question for those in the know. Who makes the best sinker EDM for what we want to do?

Type of material:
Tubes made from inconel, copper nickel, titanium, admiral brass, 304 SS, 316 SS, ZIRLO (Zr-Nb Alloy), ZIRCALOY 4

Size of material:
.375"-1.0" O.D., up to 60" long

Type of work:
internal flaws up to 13 inches from end
concentric external grooves
offset external grooves
slots, both through and flat bottomed
flat bottomed holes
through holes
flat surfaces

ID / OD transitional notches .005 wide +.001/-.002 from 20% depth of wall thickness to through.

ID / OD Linear / circular sectional notches .005 wide +.001/-.002 from 20% depth of wall thickness to through.

Features that need to be clocked to various degrees in relation to other features.

We currently outsource this type of work.

Drawings showing the details of what we're up to can be provided upon request.

Thanks for reading, and any input you may give.

Charlie

Hi Charlie:
Your request turns out to be very timely; the guy I just bought my new surface grinder from is also selling a mint condition Agietron 150C with electrode changer and all the bells and whistles for super cheap money.
If I had enough space I'd grab it for sure, but I don't, so I can only look on in helpless frustration as someone else grabs it.

It's vintage 2000 or thereabouts and was a top of the line machine for its day.
This machine sold new for 300 grand.
It'll more than do what you describe and with the trode changer it is not just a good toolroom machine but will also make a great production machine.

You'll have to get creative with the tank, but you'll have to do that anyway if your parts are up to 60 inches long. (buying a machine with a 60" plus worktank new is going to cost you a pile of money...at a guess 500 grand)
I believe it has a rise and fall worktank, but I don't know for sure, and I don't know if you can trick it into running with the tank down and just flushing wands going.
With a door type machine you just disable the interlock and build a dam to contain the dielectric oil.

If you are interested, here is contact information:
DH Dietex
Danny Hall
cel: 604 375-1496
He is in Coquitlam BC Canada, so rigging and shipping will cost a bit of money, but since you're just across the line in Washington, it won't be too bad.

If you get it, I'll be jealous as Hell!
Tell him Marcus from Implant Mechanix sent you his way.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Anything but a new charmilles. It could handle roughing, but small details just ate electrodes.

Hi Marcus,
Unfortunately I'm working under corporate America rules, so I'm guessing your friend's machine will be sold long before someone above me decides to move beyond research stage and begins to ask if we can actually spend money.
Someone has sold someone on the idea of tungsten electrodes, so we'll also need a wire EDM to make those. I'm not too worried about that end of things.
Has anyone ever heard of/used machines from ONA?

Hi Marcus,
Someone has sold someone on the idea of tungsten electrodes, so we'll also need a wire EDM to make those.

I only have experience with one brand, but so far I'm really liking our Makino U3 WEDM.

Probably only a matter of time before we get a sinker, and lucky for Makino, we probably won't be considering any other brands. I just don't have the mental capacity to learn yet another control.

Anything but a new charmilles. It could handle roughing, but small details just ate electrodes.

Hmmm? I ran one that we did serrations (small small!) on the end of parts and electrodes lasted a good while. This was an oscillating machine, maybe early 2000's?

Hi,

you should check the new Sodick machines, the new AL series has some developed power supply compared to old ones. It has some very low electrode wear rates, can keep very tight tolerances and good surfaces. Different machines might get the job get done faster, but not better. Also, if you have some experience - maybe after a few months - you will know hot to modify the edm parameters, if you have the "speed" preference. ALtaugh, if you want 60" work space - if I got your description correctly - you will need to go deep in your pocket :D AG100L has 40" movement, and 80" work tank, but this is still the older control. Still a safe choice.

Back