What's new

SINKER EDM

swack

Plastic
anybody running new sodick edms?
what do you think? lets chat!

we have 10 sinkers 7 wires 2 smallhole machines all are sodicks

swack

Not running Sodicks, have a 1994 Sodick Moldmaker 5 for sale however. Curious what the deal is with the linear servos...seems like it wouldn't make a bit of difference on most ram EDM jobs to have linear servos. If it does, please explain how.

The best part of the linear motor is no ballscrew to ever wear out and the linear is dead accurate. In my trade there are many times when you need to edm a piece that has no holes to flush thru the linear motor can
produce the fast up and down action to remove
the already burned material from the cavity.
flush or removeing the already burned material from the cut is the key any edm job!

www.sodick.com

swack

[This message has been edited by swack (edited 08-18-2002).]

I've never heard of anyone wearing out a ballscrew on a ram EDM, nor accuracty problems, but the fast Z motion advantage does make some sense.

half of the sinkers are 10-15 years old
they run 24hr a day 5-6 days a week!
something has to wear over time!

Swack, I got two Agie wires and an Agie 45L precision ram. The AGIE'S are 73'and 77' models and still hold a location of a few tenths.The truth is that ball screws on wires don't wear
like a bridgeport's.Wires will have a die block of 10 to 150pds mounted on the table,where a mill would have 1000 to 1500pds. Agie from day one has always had larger and more precise ball screw than its competitors. This is why there's still a market for older(80's) rebuilt Agies.
Now with my(76')E10 Charmilles ram, I know just what your talking about. I have to figure an adjustment of .005 when I tighten the head.But,it has its place and it still burns quite well.
Long story short, wear can be a factor depending on the owner and manufacture of machine.

I juess when i talk accuracty problems im talking .0005/.0015 center to center t.i.r.
thats alot for us! The new linear rams we have may only have to move .00010 to bring center to center back.We orbit most all are work to size so i think that plays a big part
on ballscrew wear.

swack

Back