What's new
What's new

Sinker EDM - parts/service comparisons ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm talking CNC or ZNC machines, mid 90's to 2002 vintage...which makes might be best bang for buck in terms of phone support and electronics support ? And by "support" I don't mean just having replacement boards and such, but offering them at prices that are not insane.

Manuf that come to mind are Charmilles, Agie, Sodick, Mitsubishi, Hansvedt, Chmer (sometimes same machine as Hansvedt), and ?

My guess is Arrow/ Hansvedt is most reasonable overall.... but you tell me...

Well, you specified sinkers and the company I work for doesn't have any.

For our wedm's though we stick with Charmilles for our new ones and EDM Network for our old EF22-930's with good results from both companies.

As far as insane prices go ...

We have 2 Mits wires and 1 Mits sinker. The sinker we bought used from Hycon (2002 ? model year) and have had excellent applications phone support the few times we have needed it from Mits (same with wire machines) . Service work used to be excellent until they changed distributors. Now if you don't have service contracts, it's really expensive, but the techs are very good. We have had excellent phone support for applications and service, but we have been a good customer for years. Bought several generations of wire machines since 1990. RJT

I currently run a Mits EA8, and we have recently purchased an Agie Hyperspark 3, both bought new. Neither of them are great WRT prices, both are reasonable in terms of what they have available for relatively current models.

Agie and Charmilles are now one company, part of the George Fischer group.

Mits and Makino have both at times (possibly still) charged fees to register machines not owned by the origional purchaser, in order to get tech support, or even order parts.

In short, I could not give an unqualified endorsement to any of them, given your parameters.

Cheers!

Roy Solomon

Machine servicing costs

Hi Milacron:
I have a mid 1990's Hansvedt sinker (MS4 Foreman full CNC but no adaptive control and no C axis).
It's been pretty reliable; I've put about 3000 hours on it in 4 years (for a total of about 8000 hours) and replaced a generator board and a Y axis servomotor.
The servomotor was under 500 bucks, and the generator board with diagnosis, installation testing and hard drive upgrade was under $1500.00 (I paid more to ship the control and insure it than to fix it).
Arrow is very good...smart technicians, helpful, courteous, and prompt service.
The machine itself is low end machine, like everything from Hansvedt, but for servicing I have no complaints at all.
Cheers

Marcus

well..... since you asked...given your parameters...they all suck!
My advice would be to skip the manufacturer and try and find a dealer that knows his stuff.
for Mits that would be (IMHO) Millenium Machinery.

well..... since you asked...given your parameters...they all suck!
Until you state some specifics, like which makes you have experience with, and what those experiences were exactly, your statement is meaningless.

well..I don't really have the typing ability, time, or desire to go into specifics. But I do have thirty years of dealing with sinkers and wires of most major brands....so, I'll have to live with being meaningless.
And I stand by my original statement.

well..I don't really have the typing ability, time, or desire to go into specifics.
Then why bother responding to topics...just want to see "your name up in lights" ? I repeat, without specifics and/or on the machine experiences or at least a specific resume on who you are, it's all meaningless to me.

Keep in mind you know who you are but to the rest of the internet world you're a silly name somewhere in eastern side of the USA...that's all we know.

After 25 some odd years of involvement in EDM and working with machines built by several manufactures. I can say with out a doubt that you can't go wrong with a Hansvedt sinker.
They may not be the most high tech machine out there. But they are simple to work on and repair. Arrow EDM is run by the guys that designed and build these machines. So when it comes to service they know there stuff. 99% of the time they can trouble shoot the problem over the phone. Most of the time they will work out a solution to keep you running until the replacement parts arrive. Their technicians are some of the most patient and understanding that you will find. I have the personal number to a couple of them. They are always helpful and more than willing to do all they can to get me up and running without the need for an expensive service call. I know from experience that this is not the case with some of the big name company's.
Currently I have a Hansvedt Leadman sinker and a Hansvedt DS-30 wire machine. The wire machine is a re badged Chmer machine but the service has been excellent for either one. The wire machine is one that I ran for several years for a former employer. I was given that machine when when I went out on my own a few years back. The machine had a major melt down after an accident while cutting a job. After a lot of replacement parts and several service calls it was still having problems. My boss didn't want to keep putting money into it and bought a replacement. The machine just sat in the corner for nearly a year. I was sure that with more Patience and some TLC I could get it running again. With the help of the guys from Arrow and some replacement parts from them and EDM Network it has been running over 8000 reliable hrs since. Hey I learned enough from that repair that every once in a while I receive a call from the Arrow Tech to refresh his memory or ask what I did to to solve a particular problem. They called a few weeks back to get my opinion on some features for a new wire machine they are building. I will bet you will not have that kind of relationship with any other EDM builders or service company's out there.
Just my 2 cents.

Back