What's new
What's new

Sodick ALN 400 & Bob wire

toolmaker96

Hot Rolled
I am hoping maybe someone can give us some guidance.

In Nov. of last year we purchased our 1st wire, a Sodick ALN 400 with the ALN2 control.
Up to this point, we have been using the built in programming software on the machine. This has worked pretty well, but we are trying to shift to doing offline programming.

We have been demoing Bob wire & are running into some issues. We are posting the program with no cutting condition codes & then using the Sodick conditions search, to incorporate the cutting conditions into the Bob wire program.
Problem is that when cutting a cavity, we are .003" oversize & undersized by the same amount when cutting punches. In addition, the finish is horrible, almost like it is not leaving enough material for the skimming passes.
We have offsetting turned on in the program & the cutting conditions search is also generating the offest amounts in the conditions code.

Has anyone had an issue like this & could possibly point us in the right direction? As I said above, this is our first wire & I am pretty sure it is something simple that we are doing wrong, but I am at a loss.

I am hoping maybe someone can give us some guidance.

In Nov. of last year we purchased our 1st wire, a Sodick ALN 400 with the ALN2 control.
Up to this point, we have been using the built in programming software on the machine. This has worked pretty well, but we are trying to shift to doing offline programming.

We have been demoing Bob wire & are running into some issues. We are posting the program with no cutting condition codes & then using the Sodick conditions search, to incorporate the cutting conditions into the Bob wire program.
Problem is that when cutting a cavity, we are .003" oversize & undersized by the same amount when cutting punches. In addition, the finish is horrible, almost like it is not leaving enough material for the skimming passes.
We have offsetting turned on in the program & the cutting conditions search is also generating the offest amounts in the conditions code.

Has anyone had an issue like this & could possibly point us in the right direction? As I said above, this is our first wire & I am pretty sure it is something simple that we are doing wrong, but I am at a loss.

Are you adjusting the Offsets or Conditions the machine is giving you at all? I find them pretty general and if I don't make some minor changes it usually cuts small on an ID and stock heavy on an OD. Double check your comp is going in the right direction, although I think you would see a bigger difference if that was the case. I would check in your Bobwire settings and make sure its not set to leave stock anywhere too.

The poor finish is def a sign the conditions not running well with the offset amount. Is your voltage jumping around and speed bogging out?

Are you adjusting the Offsets or Conditions the machine is giving you at all? I find them pretty general and if I don't make some minor changes it usually cuts small on an ID and stock heavy on an OD. Double check your comp is going in the right direction, although I think you would see a bigger difference if that was the case. I would check in your Bobwire settings and make sure its not set to leave stock anywhere too.

The poor finish is def a sign the conditions not running well with the offset amount. Is your voltage jumping around and speed bogging out?

At least when using the Sodick programming, with the condition codes, we have found the machine generally cuts to withing a .0001/ or less.
After doing a bit more digging this morning, I suspect we may have the overburn problem solved. It turns out the "H" offset value that Bob wire is posting, does not match the conditions code H value. We have done some hand editing & are running a test burn now.

Assuming this solves the overburn issue, it appears the next problem is going to be the amount of hand editing that is required. Does anyone know if there is somewhere in Bob wire that we can change what C & H values are posted, or is this something that would have to be done though a post edit?

Just curious but have you considered Esprit. I know its a more expensive but it is really good. You can upload your machine cutting conditions from the machine into esprit. When posting a program you're getting actual machine settings into the header. Little or no hand editing is needed.

Just curious but have you considered Esprit. I know its a more expensive but it is really good. You can upload your machine cutting conditions from the machine into esprit. When posting a program you're getting actual machine settings into the header. Little or no hand editing is needed.

While Esprit is not one of them, we do have our eye on a couple of higher end wire softwares. However, at this point we cant justify them based on the machine utilization. As the amount we use the machine goes up, we will be revisiting some of the higher end softwares.

Back