What's new
What's new

Sodick wire EDM programming questions

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
Guys,

I have a 2003 vintage Sodick AQ 750l wire EDM machine. I have a job that measures roughly 13.625"l x 5.375"w x 0.511" thick. I will do my best to explain...Along one of the 13" edges, and one end of the part, and around a radiused corner, there is a 45 degree cut...the other 13" edge has a 42 degree bevel. My questions:
1) Is it just as simple as using a G52 A45 command, making the three cuts (looking at the part from the top, long axis in the Y direction, beveled edges facing up)?

2) for the second long cut, kick the head out to 42 degrees, and make that cut?

My issue, is the part has different vertical components (straight sections before the angle)....for the 45 degree, the TP is .2579", and for the 42 degree angle, the TP is 0.0595"....I'm guessing that somewhere I need to change the TP number...I guess that you can tell that I have never done this before...

Thanks,
Mark

Theoretically.....

Set your table to program (TP) to the botton of the part where the bevels share a common plane.

Then set your table to next to the height of the top of the part, regardless of where the chamfer is.

Then "theoretically" it should produce the cut you need.

The limited amount of taper cutting we have done with our AG600L machines we have programmed everything thru mastercam.

Guys,

I have a 2003 vintage Sodick AQ 750l wire EDM machine. I have a job that measures roughly 13.625"l x 5.375"w x 0.511" thick. I will do my best to explain...Along one of the 13" edges, and one end of the part, and around a radiused corner, there is a 45 degree cut...the other 13" edge has a 42 degree bevel. My questions:
1) Is it just as simple as using a G52 A45 command, making the three cuts (looking at the part from the top, long axis in the Y direction, beveled edges facing up)?

My issue, is the part has different vertical components (straight sections before the angle)....for the 45 degree, the TP is .2579", and for the 42 degree angle, the TP is 0.0595"....I'm guessing that somewhere I need to change the TP number...I guess that you can tell that I have never done this before...

Thanks,
Mark

Do you require a land on the beveled edge or are you cutting the angle on the whole face?

Guys,

Thanks,
Mark

Dang 45° make sure you have the right guides,flushing nozzels in...my wire is similar to yours but smaller. If your TP is different for each cut you will have to write 2 separate programs and you will need an TN (table to next). Are you writing this on the machine or with software? Don't forget your tool offset either if your size matters.

JZ,

Thanks for the reply. I did the code in Mastercam, but I am adding the additional code to kick the head manually...first time doing this. I was wondering how I would go about doing changing the TP value; I wasn't sure if I could add it to the same program, or like you said, needed a separate program....I'm guessing that I will need to change it in the settings as well....

Yes, I need to order the flushing nozzles and guides...

Thanks,
Mark

JZ,

Thanks for the reply. I did the code in Mastercam, but I am adding the additional code to kick the head manually...first time doing this. I was wondering how I would go about doing changing the TP value; I wasn't sure if I could add it to the same program, or like you said, needed a separate program....I'm guessing that I will need to change it in the settings as well....

Yes, I need to order the flushing nozzles and guides...

Thanks,
Mark

Yeah adding the TP value and TN values under your header is a good way to insure you have the correct values set. If you go to your Settings page User 2, you will see where you can change the values. Also I would change them on your Graph screen before you draw the part. It will give you a better visual of the cut. You can set your Dry Run to 1 and it will move the heads and run so you can see how far your U or V is going to move. The closer you can keep the Upper head to the part the better.

Last edited:
Just a heads up. The max angle with the sapphire split guides is 22.5 degrees. For an accurate cut at that angle you'll need the split diamond guides with taper flex flush cups.

Back