What's new
What's new

Sources of information on Electrical Discharge Machining

ChrisC_84

Plastic
I am currently doing an apprenticeship to be a machinist, and as a requirement we were issued with a set of questions to write answers to. I am finding many of the questions particularly difficult to answer.
Part of the reason for this is (I think) that I work for a manufacturer of Tungsten Carbide wear parts, and as a result don't get experience with the full range of EDM capabilities and requirements.
Does anyone know of any sources of information I can look at in order to answer these questions? Some examples:
"K18 Outline the different types of electrodes/wire, and the material conditions determining their use"
"K19 Describe selecting the correct grade and type of electrode/wire for the materials and profiles being machined"
"K27 Explain how the various types of materials will affect the feeds and voltage that can be used"
"K28 Explain the application of dielectric fluids with regard to a range of different materials"
I don't know the answer to these because I don't get to machine anything but Carbide.

ChrisC,

Several years ago, John Berenyi, a ME at Barnes Aerospace asked me to write a basic questionnaire for their prospective WEDM operators. This was done as a courtesy and there are no NDA's in place (and I don't think John or Barnes would mind that I shared this), so I'll send this along.

Again, it's rather simplistic, crafted for entry-level applicants with the answers shown in red fonts (Sending the Master or Teacher-copy. For Student-copies, simply change all fonts to black and save as "Student Copy" and you're done.

Let me know if it fits your needs or what you would rather see.

Bud Guitrau

P.S. Sorry, I just learned that the "Attach Files" button doesn't work or I would have sent you this. If you are interested, send me an address where I can send this to you.

BG
[email protected]

Last edited:

Back