What's new
What's new

STEM drilling

EDM Network is now the US representative for the TEK4 EDM products. One of the products is STEM drill which uses acid and high current to edm drill and can go easily 12 inches or more with minimal elecrode wear. I am trying to learm more about the process so I was just wondering if anyone out there has experience with STEM drilling and what they found.

Hi Larry,

Congratulations on acquiring a new line.

STEM drilling is an acronym for “Shaped-Tube Electro-Chemical Machining” and is used to produce curved, shaped, complex angles and deep holes, typically in turbine blades. Look up “ECM” for a quick definition.

For the best education on this subject (especially if you’re going to sell them!), contact Jason Duffin, founder and managing director of TEK4 EDM in the UK at: Home. I'm sure full training will come very soon.

Good luck!

Bud Guitrau

Bud - thanks for the responce!
Ron and I just came back from TEK4. They did not have a STEM drill that could be demonstrated. Seems like the only way to burn very deep holes. Wondering what the operators that actially ran the equipment thoght about it.

Bud - it was great talking to you. Seems like we both go back a long way in this crazy business.

Are there any STEM drill operators thst would like to share their experiences with STEM drilling??

Already sent a PM to the thread starter Larry. However, I am looking for some machine shops with STEM capabilities for gas turbine blades/buckets, preferably in the US. I notice that most of the STEM knowledge and abilities are in Europe. :)

Bud - it was great talking to you. Seems like we both go back a long way in this crazy business.

Are there any STEM drill operators thst would like to share their experiences with STEM drilling??

Hi Larry, I'm an eSTEM operator. I'm using a translator, but if you have any questions, I can help you with the handling of the Tek4 machine.
my email is [email protected]

Back