What's new
What's new

Symmetry of wire EDM cut faces

Roborules45

Plastic
Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I have no experience with the wire EDM process.

In making a wire EDM cut would the "kerf" width be equivalent on each side of the wire as it cuts - would the thickness of the recast layer on each opposing cut face be equal thickness. If symmetric in general or straight cuts, would these attributes become asymmetric around radius or curve cuts.
Application I'm considering is 403 SS, about 1.5 inches thick.
thanks.

The meet will be the wire size plus overburn. As long as the wire tension is correct and the flushing is set correct the width should stay the same. As for recast, I usually get .001 consistently but never measured both sides. This is dependent on your power settings.

The wire always offsets itself in any proper program to be on the waste side of your part, other then that all faces of the cut are exactly the same.

Modern spark generators and settings along with repeated finishing passes can reduce or eliminate most recast issues.

If symmetric in general or straight cuts, would these attributes become asymmetric around radius or curve cuts.
Application I'm considering is 403 SS, about 1.5 inches thick.
thanks.

Without knowing what you are after exactly, the answer is no, the cut isn't exactly symmetrical ( well, symmetry is not the correct word but I'm going along with your description )
Basically, if you cut a 1" radius ( assuming no radius compensation on the toolpath ), one side of the wire will have an appr. 1.007R, while the other is appro .993R.

Recast and all other surface characteristics will - for all intents and purposes - be virtually identical.
But, just a curious question: Why are you concerned about recast?

Back