What's new
What's new

tube material for hole popper EDM

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
Hello all,

I am fairly new to the EDM hole popper world, so bear with me. I started using brass tubes, burning mainly starter holes for my wire EDM. Someone suggested copper tubes; they seemed to work as well, if not better. Now I read somewhere about copper/tungsten tubes....I haven't explored them as of yet; does anyone have any words of wisdom...pertaining to this subject :)?? The work material is silicon carbide ceramics, mainly.

Thanks,
Mark

Brass is the standard but experiment with different materials and see what works best for you. Maybe get in touch with a specialty company and pick their brains, maybe get some samples to try.

Copper is for carbide drilling, but from my experience it does nothing for other materials.
Never tried tungsten, but when I've asked my supplier I was told that those are for sinker edm burning and not hole poppers.

Our Sodick hole popper uses nothing but copper, we cut with rods in range of 0.6 - 2.5mm.

In good conditions I’m cutting a 10-20mm per minute in steel of the top of my head, could be more in steel, and then even faster in Aluminium and brass.

Back