What's new
What's new

wedm magnesium ... precautions?

KilrB

Stainless
I have some 1.06" discs to wedm from .032" magnesium.

I intend to stack them about 1-1/2" and wire them submerged in our Brother HS-70A's.

Does anyone here have any experience "wiring" magnesium?

I would think this shouldn't be much different than titanium or zirconium but ...

... better safe than sorry!

Did you get the latest EDM Today? In the 'ask Roger' column, he advises 'Eric' NOT to cut a Magnesium alloy based on info in the MSDS. If you have any doubts, get the Data Sheet for the particular material you intend to cut. Or, you can roll the dice and wait for the show...

Did you get the latest EDM Today? In the 'ask Roger' column, he advises 'Eric' NOT to cut a Magnesium alloy based on info in the MSDS. If you have any doubts, get the Data Sheet for the particular material you intend to cut. Or, you can roll the dice and wait for the show...

I never get my latest EDM Today's these days.

They get lost in the front office and I may see them 6-12 months later ... if I'm lucky.

The job is done.

Had to run it in Robofil 290 intead of the Brother HS-70A.

1-1/8" stack of mag between a pair of 1/16" aluminum stiffeners.

Call-out was 1.060" +/-.01" and I had to use +.002"/side CLE to bring it up to nominal.

186 pc in 6 stacks took 1.4 hrs.

No problems.

Thank you gentlemen.

Last edited:
Sinking Magnesium??

I have some 1.06" discs to wedm from .032" magnesium.

I intend to stack them about 1-1/2" and wire them submerged in our Brother HS-70A's.

Does anyone here have any experience "wiring" magnesium?

I would think this shouldn't be much different than titanium or zirconium but ...

... better safe than sorry!

We regularly Wire EDM Magnesium with no problems. We have 19 Brother HS70a's. My question is this: Do any of you have experience sinking Magnesium?

From my now long ago experience sinking titanium, my advice is ... don't.

Titanium was a super PITA and I imagine mag is worse.

But ... I have no personal experience with it so I could be entirely wrong.

We regularly Wire EDM Magnesium with no problems. We have 19 Brother HS70a's. My question is this: Do any of you have experience sinking Magnesium?

Hi,
Do you still have all them Brothers?
How do you get parts/repair?

I am being ignored by Charmilles and brother about the tensioner brake...............

Steve

There is no support for Brother any longer. Charmilles bought them out in order to dump them(competition). I bought my Brother HS-300 from a guy on eBay. He had a sale on eBay recently for parts, but don't see it now. Below is an auction for a machine he has and you can contact him to see if he has the parts you need.

Brother HS50A wire edm, 5 axis CNC | eBay

Back