What's new
What's new

What to do with my old EDM?

Konrad

Cast Iron
I have an old AGIE sinker 1968 Type BF, I only use it for inn-house work, too slow and lots of electrode wear for any custom work. It is such a nice machine, that's why I wish it could be upgraded.Does anybody know if its worth it, or whom I could contact!
Your thoughts on this is appreciated.

Konrad

Konrad, first of all, I have never ran an EDM machine in any way shape or form, but I have recently studied the process to some extent, as well as studying the used machines that are out there. It all depends on how often you use the machine, what kind of revenue it brings in, the money you put into any machine that will show appreciable decrease in electrode wear and increase in speed will take possibly years of steady work to start making any money on it. Even an upgrade will cost you an arm and a leg and will be less cost effective than buying a complete newer machine. Like I said, it all depends on the production/usage situation you are in, if you only use the machine occasionally then I would just stick with ol' Betsy, even if she does go too slow, and eats up electrodes like candy.

General G

had an old elox. Really old tube type power supply. Picked up a new solid state power supply and it made a world of difference.

The Elox was from the mid 60s as best as I can remember. What happend was we bought a new E.R.M. machine(now out of business) so we got a dual power supply with it and hooked up the old elox to one side of the supply. Can't remember how much it cost as that happened several years ago.

Back