What's new
What's new

Wire Breaking Problem Mits FX20K tall part

tvalen1432

Aluminum
I realize to some this is a no brainer but I have been backwards and forwards on this with no luck. This is a 6" tall die with a few start holes, D2 hardened steel cut with 0.010 coated brass wire. First let me say that I have searched from front to back for the smallest of pieces of wire and found none, I have sped it up and down to even 0.005, I changed
SA from 6 to 4
SE from 4 to 5
SB from 9 to 11
VG from 48 to 55
and WT from 10 to 8 (due to the max tension being 10 I can use on this machine because something needs to be fixed by a tech). I have tried doing the cut in reverse using a shim and magnet on other cut side to ensure wire don't get pinched or slug move while cutting from other side. Nothing making a difference.
Now when the wire breaks there is a flash of light and a sizzle sound to the wire in the area where wire cutter is on upper head. To me this shows contact some where maybe even at the part but usually there isn't the spark I'm seeing. There is not any intermittent contact bouncing or anything like that just the sizzle and break.

If anyone has encountered this and can offer any suggestions it would be soooo nice.

Frustrated and behind,
Tvalen1432

To add to this, the wire doesn't break right when the power to wire kicks on but not too long after starts cutting again. Yes the tension is a big issue but have been able to cut tall parts in the past, just not the straightest.
Thanks,
Tvalen1432

The flush is all the way open. I had a long shot thought... I'm going to put something (possibly magnet) over the threw holes to see if maybe that is where the kick back of dirt is causing the arc. Also going to try reducing the flush a bit. Worth a try.

Tvalen1432

Ok once again I am an example as to how we all can over think the hell out of things and make them more complicated then need be. The solution to my problem was to simply change my wire. The spool was bad. If after doing that there is still a problem then go through all the steps looking for a piece of wire, cleaning the bearings along wire travel, change epacs and settings etc. Also incase some of you don't know, always store your wire in the position it is on the machine or the whole spool will be bad. (No that wasn't the case with me) LOL.

Take Care,
Tvalen1432

Back