What's new
What's new

Wire cutting Beryllium copper alloy

sash1ca35

Plastic
Any suggestions for a good filter that will last wire cutting beryllium copper alloy like Ampco or MoldMax. I’m on a Makino U6 wire machine and from what I gather a 20micron filter will do the trick but I can’t find a supplier that sells it. Brand names will be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any suggestions for a good filter that will last wire cutting beryllium copper alloy like Ampco or MoldMax. I’m on a Makino U6 wire machine and from what I gather a 20micron filter will do the trick but I can’t find a supplier that sells it. Brand names will be helpful. Thanks

Single Source Technologies is a good supplier. Check them out and look at the MANN+HUMMEL filters, they may have something that fits your need.

("... a 20micron filter will do the trick")

Sorry Sash... a 20 micron filter for WEDM is about as effective as stopping mosquitoes with a chain-link fence.

The reason 20 micron filters "last longer" is because they don't begin to filter until after hours of pre-coating. Within my lengthy article on "WEDM Preventive Maintenance", I respectfully suggest you jump to page 36 of the Fall 2014 issue of EDM Today magazine to learn more about EDM filtration (with contributions from Mann-Hummel)

Also for your reference, when new, your U-6 Makino WEDM was provided with 5 micron filters as standard equipment. For your best recommendation, call the Makino WEDM applications department for guidance.

Bud Guitrau

I agree 1000% with Bud on this!!!

Considering beryllium copper can be a serious health hazard material, one must focus on the side of safety for the operator's well-being!

While a 20 Micron filter will provide longer filter life because it is capturing less particulate, this scenario is exposing the operator to a lot more hazardous particles of this material. The biggest concern is inhalation of any fine particles of this material, as it has been very well documented to cause lung cancer. The larger micron filter will also contaminate and shorten the life of the Di-Resin.

The recommendation it to utilize a 3~5 Micron rated filter like what came with the machine, which was a Mann + Hummel Part # H34-1490 filter, and accept the shorter filter life from a safety aspect for the operator. You might also want to review your local EPA regulations on the proper disposal of your spent filters that are loaded with beryllium copper, as it is likely that these will need to be disposed of as a hazardous waste product.

- Brian

Awesome advice thanks. Another question is if I’m finding myself constantly wire cutting this material would it be beneficial to have a pre-filtering system added if at all possible to the machine to filter larger particles in the die electric fluid before it hits the machine filters. Again this is just a thought not sure if it would make any sense to do so since I will be wire cutting tool steel also.

Sash,

A pre-filter is often used in situations like yours. Inexpensive, easy install and a short ROI will save you thousands of dollars over time. Most shops running production aluminum (big, slimy "chips"), utilize a pre-filter to "get the rocks out" and allow the precision machine filters to last longer.

Give Ed Tirakian at
Ebbco a call at 586-716-5151. Tell him Bud says "Hi".

I run a #4 bag filter housing and a 5 micron polyester felt filter bag (approx. five bucks) prior to my cartridge filters on my Sodick wire machine. They last about 8 hours running aluminum and a bit longer running steel. more than doubled the life of my expensive cartridge filters.

Back