What's new
What's new

Wire cutting tall parts

DJZ

Plastic
I have been tasked with trying to source a wire cutter with around 700mm or 27.5 inches of Z height. I've had a bit of a look at the brands that I know of and it looks like not many are capable of this. Can anybody suggest a machine?

Also what is the type of wire EDM called where it sort of acts like a saw running the wire backwards and forwards? Has anybody had experience with machines like that?

I have been tasked with trying to source a wire cutter with around 700mm or 27.5 inches of Z height. I've had a bit of a look at the brands that I know of and it looks like not many are capable of this. Can anybody suggest a machine?

Also what is the type of wire EDM called where it sort of acts like a saw running the wire backwards and forwards? Has anybody had experience with machines like that?

27.5" tall won't cut for crap, even if you can find one. I ran a charmilles 310 that could get around 15", and actually cut something really close to that height. It ran like crap, and veeerrryyyyy sllloooowww.

I saw a demo at Mitsubishi headquarters in Chicago of a machine with optional riser cutting a 32" high part. I thought I had a picture on my phone, but I can't find it. Too many pictures of grandkids.

The reason those Charmilles 310's cut so slow is the those machines are extremely under powered and not submerged.

The Sodick ALN800GH has 31.9" of Z travel. I would get the 60 amp high speed generator option.

Cool, thanks guys, that gives me somewhere to start. There is an Excetek machine that looks like it will do 1000mm or 39 inches but it's a huge machine.

there was a progress 4 kicking around on Ebay with a 28in.Z. it was in Ohio somewhere. might be worth a google search it was short money as i recall.

DJZ,

The reciprocating WEDM you were inquiring about was a Charmilles product built for cutting free DMLM parts from the build plate.
It used Moly wire approx .022" diameter.
It could only cut straight lines with horrible accuracy by WEDM standards.
They used additives in water so it could run over 1 AMP without cracking the dielectric like the old hole poppers used to use.
They stopped making them... I heard most of the older machines are now in Asia.

There is another newer version available (not by Charmilles) used for steel mills to cut ends.
Again, just straight line cuts with no accuracy and horrible HAZ.

Jay Crumb

Hi Jay, GF has another machine to remove grown parts from a build plate, the CUT AM500. It's designed from the ground up to serve the additive machining industry. it cuts horizontally, uses wire multiple times, flips plates over and catches parts in a basket. here is a link. YouTube

I have worked in that band-saw like wire-cutting machine 20 years before. The wire will break often and it will keep me busy most of the time to tie the wire with the wire drum. After 6 months, we asked the machine supplier to take-back it and replaced with a regular wire cutting machine.

Wire-cutting 700mm is not advisable due to bell issue in the middle, seriously consider re-engineering your part before you invest money and time on wire-cutter.

Back