What's new
What's new

Wire EDM HAZ

Radar987

Hot Rolled
If I were to wire EDM HRC62 tool steel, will the EDM'd surfaces still be at HRC62 when I'm done?

The application involves sliding components where a tight fit and wear resistance are very important. If I can EDM these surfaces rather than hard mill, it will make life much easier.

Hi Radar987:
The HAZ with a modern machine will be microns.
You should be good.
What kind of tool steel?
D2 has been used for punch dies forever and has been successfully wire cut for decades so I can't see a problem.
Powdered metal appears to react poorly to wire EDM but stock made from cast and hot rolled or forged billets seems to work just fine.
There was a recent thread on the subject on PM.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Thanks. Sounds like it should be a nonissue.

Most likely it will be D2 tool steel, although also considering A2.

We have wire burnt A2, D2, CPM 10V, DC 53, etc. in a hardened state for tooling. Never have had an issue. Burn away.

Hi again Radar987:
When I was an apprentice moldmaker, I was taught that a principle to apply whenever possible was to use two different steels of different hardnesses if the components were going to rub against one another especially if no grease was permitted and high contact pressures were anticipated.

By that logic, can you make one half out of D-2 at 63 RC and the other half of A-2 at 60 RC?
Either that or nitride one of the halves to make it even harder.
Since D-2 is more wear resistant then A-2, I would nitride the A-2 and conventionally harden the D-2.
Be aware though, that nitriding will sometimes make the part swell a bit.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back