What's new
What's new

Wire EDM Inconel 600

CRC13SG

Plastic
Does anyone have experience Wire EDMing Inconel? I hear it is a brutal material, just don't know how it performs in the wire. I am running a Mitsubishi MV1200S and looking at burning 4 inches thick.

Does anyone have experience Wire EDMing Inconel? I hear it is a brutal material, just don't know how it performs in the wire. I am running a Mitsubishi MV1200S and looking at burning 4 inches thick.

I cut some Inconel not to long ago, about 4in or so thick. I treated it like regular steel and just checked for taper before I made the finish pass.

Keep your flushing high, varying on pm, adaptive control on, wire speed 10 or 12. Set feedrate around .1, it will bounce around with the AC on. I use epacks with high voltage gap (vg). It's gonna go slow lol

Keep your flushing high, varying on pm, adaptive control on, wire speed 10 or 12. Set feedrate around .1, it will bounce around with the AC on. I use epacks with high voltage gap (vg). It's gonna go slow lol
I am also wire edm'ing inconel about 100mm thick, I was running at about 1.25mm a minute on a rough cut with standard tech, would you consider this slow ?

I am doing 5" INCO 718 now. With .012 wire I can reliably get .048" with the Bedra Gapstar wire. Modified power settings from the book values, Good flushing, But no wire breaks. I had it faster, but did not want to deal with wire breaks.

The issue with INCO is it is a rolled and forged material if you are getting it from flat plate stock. LOTS of stress hidden in that material. If you cannot cut it on all sides with the wire it will curl and twist. We have gone to having the material stress relived before wire now.

Back